Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bias
    • Apr 2002

Converting hangs computer

Hi. Have been having this peculiar problem for a while now. Whenever i try to convert from either mpeg-divx or vice versa, the computer just hangs, locks up completely... Have tried to switch drivers, changing video card, etc. Using XP, (makes no difference, have tried W2K too, same problem)... thought i'd consult you guyes before changing all the hardware.. Anyone have any idea?
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Most likely your system is becoming unstable durring the conversion, due to overheating. Make sure the the cpu is properly cooled. And if you are using a via chipset make sure to install the latest 4in1 drivers.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Bias
      • Apr 2002

Almost fixed...

Thanks for your reply. I have spent these last days stripping my computer down to pieces, ... have checked my temps, the videocard, etc, installed the latest drivers for everything, and so on, now, it does not hang the same way, ... before the computer just froze, totally hanged, now, the Virtualdub hangs, the timer is going on, but the video freezes up but i can still use the computer and i can kill Virtualdub... do you have any ideas?

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Disable your audio processing and just process the video. See if it improves things...

Comment

• Bias
          • Apr 2002

Tried that...

Well, it seems to be working quite better without processing the sound, ... bad codecs mabey? Will try new audio codecs...
          Thanks...

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

That's good. There are a lot of problems related to this, so I'm not surprised this worked for you as well. It's very likely a codec problem.

The best (better actually) alternative would be to process the audio separately and later mux it with the video you have created in Virtualdub. What is your audio source? An existing WAV file, DVD audio or else?

Comment

• Bias
              • Apr 2002

VCD

Well... in this particular case, my audiosource was the mpeg itself, but i will try to first rip the sound to a wave, encode the video and then mux with the wave, ... normally i could do this directly with virtualdub, just set the videocodec, the 'full processing mode' and select mp3 codec,... it worked with my old 350mhz computer, ... but hangs my new system.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

If I remember correctly, this is what I did to process the audio stream from VCD files separately:
                1. Open the DAT file in VD
                2. Set Audio tab to Full Processing Mode and under the Compression menu, select No Compresssion (PCM)
                3. Go to File -> Save WAV and give a name to the WAV file
                4. Convert the WAV file to MP3 using an MP3 encoder, such as LAME
                5. Mux the MP3 file with the video you have created in VD using nandub

Give it a try and tell me how it goes.

Comment

• Bias
                  • Apr 2002

Thanks...

I'll try this asap...

Comment

• Bias
                    • Apr 2002

Argh...!

My computer still hangs, ... tried to encode just the video, but it still hangs, worked a couple of times though. Hate this. I did extract a wave and encoded it to mp3, worked fine, but when i tried to encode the mpeg to divx, it hangs... Damn!

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

It seems, now, that it is the video codec or Virtualdub itself that is at fault. I suggest you reinstall them, and lastly, don't change the thread priority of the encoder to anything higher than normal (It just does not make that much difference).

Comment

• Bias
                        • Apr 2002

Codecs

Well, i think i have tried everything. The problem occurs in Tmpgenc as well when decoding divx to mpeg too.

Comment

Working...