• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Qyd
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Oct 2002

Few questions

1. While ripping DVD's (SmartRipper) and encoding movies (Flask) the <b>computer clock lags behind</b>; is the CPU buried in work or do I have some wrong hardware setting (jumpers that control some frequency).
    2. After ripping to HD, encoding, deleting files (large ones, needless to say) HD <b>free space is often reported wrong</b> (like + or - 2-3Gb). Is it normal that Win98 gets confused about this (scandisk fixes the errors everytime, but I hate to go in DOSmode every now and then for this matter).
    3. This might sound stupid: is there any <b>difference at all between avi, mpg and mpeg format</b> (except for the name, shell extensions and file associations)?
    Thanks for any answer...
  • sneglen
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Oct 2002

I don't know about the two first questions but the third I know a little about.

AVI is short for AudiovideoInformation Not sure about the Information part but i'm sure about the first 2, it just cover a format which have different codecs to use e.g. DivX, Indeo and so on while the MPEG is a codec for it self, MPEG Stands For Moving Picture Experts Group, which is the group that developed the MPEG Codec, and i'm not sure what you mean by MPEG Format???

is it the "Filename.MPEG" you mean or what because that is just to show that the MPEG Codec is used for the file

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by sneglen
      I don't know about the two first questions but the third I know a little about.

AVI is short for AudiovideoInformation Not sure about the Information part but i'm sure about the first 2
      AVI is short for Audio Video Interleave. It defines how an audio and a video stream of virtually any format can be interleaved and stored in a file.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• sneglen
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Oct 2002

Thanks for clearing that up khp

My Bad

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

• Qyd
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Oct 2002

Thanks for your replys
          The reason I asked about avi/mpg differences is this:
          If i just change the extensions of the files beween avi and mpg (or VCD's dat for that matter) the files will play just the same. In fact I can change the extension to just anything, or remove the extension completly and the files will still play. (I guess players just look in the box and read what's inside...)
          So I understand it's just a convention after all
          As for my other little question marks: I'll try another motherboard/CPU to see if there's any difference...

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

While ripping DVD's (SmartRipper) and encoding movies (Flask) the computer clock lags behind; is the CPU buried in work or do I have some wrong hardware setting (jumpers that control some frequency).
            I'm not quite clear on this one. What exactly do you mean by CPU lagging behind?

I guess players just look in the box and read what's inside...
            I've always believed that's the case. The extension simply ensures that the appropriate program is loaded up when the file is executed. It just so happens that AVI and MPG files can both be played in any media players, so changing the extension really does not have much effect. You won't be able to do the same between, say, a MPG and RM files though.

Comment

Working...