Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheCodeMan
    • Nov 2002

I am mad!

I just bought a Cappucino PC which is a mini book PC. Very compact, I thought it would be ideal for an entertainment PC in the living room, one which would play, mp3, dvd, svcd, divx, etc.

I just received it yesterday and installed Windows XP and WinDVD 3.0 on it. Everything was looking good until I popped my first DVD in it. It would not play. Nor would any of my other DVDs, all of which are Region 1. So I went out on the web and did some reading, found out about RPC-1 and RPC-2 drives, region-locking etc.

The problem is I can't set my region. The drive I have won't let me. It's a Teac SV-25e, an RPC-2 drive. I have never set a region on it and getting it to Region 1 would be fine. When I try to set it it tells me that I don't have administrative priviliges to do it. Strange since I'm logged into the PC as administrator. It says I have 5 times left on the counter and the number of the region is set to 0. Is this some crazy form of hardware protection? Its very sad that Joe Consumer is going to have this problem.

I have tried Region free programs to no avail. None of them work. Basically I have a $600 paperweight with a DVD drive that won't play DVDs. Has anyone else run into this? I wonder what the company will say when I call them on Monday? Its going to be interesting since the place I purchased from is a reseller.
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Hi

I'am not sure if the following is going to work but you seem a little desperate, so it might be worth a try.

Try getting DVDDecrypter, and rip the DVD to HD (using file mode in DVDDecrypter). Then load the first vob file of the main vob chain, into WinDVD.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...