X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbento
    • Feb 2002

DVDs that run faster...

Hi,

Long time ago I realized that PAL DVDs ran faster than NTSC. After asking about in forums I've been told that as a film runs 24 frames per second (when projected) and the PAL system is 25 the exit is to "accelerate" the movie speed in one frame per second. So, if you compare a NTSC DVD R1 during 90 minutes with its equivalent in european market you'll notice that the latter lasts 87 minutes or so. The worst problem is not the speed faster, which is almost impossible to notice, but the sound! All the sounds become high-pitched, one semitone higher (and of course, faster). When is a movie or musical you know damn to well everything seems pretty weird.
    Well, as far as I am concerned it had to do with system colors.
    Nevertheless I bought a DVD from the Japanese market, which is R2 but NTSC and it was "accelerated", unexpectedly! It had the behaviour of a R2 PAL, slightly faster and high-pitched.
    Does Anyone know why it is that way (with the NTSC R2)?

Thanks
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Standard NTSC runs at 29.97 frames per second, NTSC "Film" runs at 23.976 fps, and PAL at 25 fps...

Comment

• dbento
      • Feb 2002

Even so PAL is 25.0 frames, NTSC 29.97 (or 23.976) and the film 24.0, as far as I am concerned it's only PAL who needs a faster projection during transfer.
      So why a japanese NTSC DVD (29.97) would run faster, just like a PAL DVD?
      Anyone knows if there's any particularity in Japanese Market (or system) that demands that?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Without getting into your definition of "transfer" and referring only to the most basic comparison, 29.97fps IS faster than 25.0fps, which in turn IS faster than 23.976 (NTSC "Film" - NOT 24.0fps)fps...

Comment

• dbento
          • Feb 2002

Thanks for the help.
          I wrote 24fps for film (print, projection), NOT NTSC. That's why I am talking about "transfer". From print to video.

Regardless the higher "numbers" of fps in NTSC, an american DVD movie doesn't last less than the print. On the other hand, an european PAL DVD does.
          With the latter, the movie lasts 2m24s less for every hour of the original film.
          Take a look:

About that difference everything is clear.
          The problem is with the japanese DVDs, they shouldn't play faster (as they are NTSC), and the one I have does.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Perhaps it's the fact that Japan uses a modified NTSC - "4.43". You might want to research the differences...

Comment

• dbento
              • Feb 2002

For what I read in http://www.gamenews.com.hk/tvsystem.htm
              it seems that in Japan, as in the USA, the NTSC is "3.58" chroma subcarrier. Don't know if it's correct, though.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Since I have nothing further to offer in the way of specific information, I would once again suggest that you might want to research the differences - perhaps starting with a thorough Google search of "NTSC 4.43"...

Comment

• dbento
                  • Feb 2002

Yes, I did and it seems it's not the issue: 4.43 or 3.58 chroma subcarriers are related to players or TVs and not to tapes, DVD discs or etc. And even if they were, either Japan or USA use 3.58. Thanks, anyway, setarip
                  Anyone has a clue about why the Japanese NTSC DVD would play faster once in theory there was no need for that?

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

As I said in my last post, "...I have nothing further to offer in the way of specific information..."

Comment

• dbento
                      • Feb 2002

So you don't have a clue about that. Thanks anyway, I appreciate your help

I'll repeat the question:

"Anyone has a clue about why the Japanese NTSC DVD would play faster once in theory there was no need for that?"

Comment

Working...