Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tag777
    • Nov 2002

Best Bitrate for divx

Can anyone relate their experiences with encoding to divx? What settings do you recomend and at what point (BITRATE) do you get the maximum quality for a given resoulution.File size isnt a consideration (quality IS) but I dont want to unneccesarly waste hard drive space. Thanks
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Dowload one of the MANY bitrate calculators available at DivX Digest - link at the top of the page...

Comment

• tag777
      • Nov 2002

Mabey I should make myself clearer...

I want to know at what bitrate do you get the highest quality picture.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Re: Best Bitrate for divx

Originally posted by tag777
        Can anyone relate their experiences with encoding to divx? What settings do you recomend and at what point (BITRATE) do you get the maximum quality for a given resoulution.File size isnt a consideration (quality IS) but I dont want to unneccesarly waste hard drive space. Thanks
        To achieve maximum quality, use the 1-pass, Quality-based setting on DivX 4.x/ 5.x configuration, and set it to 100%.

Comment

• tag777
          • Nov 2002

Why 1 pass? I thought 2 pass was better...?

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

In the case of 1-pass, quality setting, the codec will encode the movie at "X"% quality, whose value is manually set by the user. At 100% quality, there really is no need for a 2-pass encoding since the codec will assign the maximum amount of bitrate to saturate every frame in the video.

Comment

• tag777
              • Nov 2002

Ok I think i get it.Your probably gonna get a much larger file than if you used 2 pass.Mabey like the difference between vbr and constant?

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

I haven't personally tested it myself. However, I doubt you can get any bigger than 100% quality, since all the frames have already been saturated. In fact, using 2-pass encoding and assigning ridiculously high bitrate (6000kbps+) will land you at around the same filesize as the 100% quality method.

Lastly, 100% quality setting will be VBR as well since the codec compresses each frame in the video at the maximum quality. Knowing that different frames compress differently (some have a great deal more info than others), the bitrate distribution will be variable.

Comment

Working...