Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mintymoke
    • Nov 2002

Divx, SVCD's and nero 5.5

I'm having problems making SVCD's from some of the (divx).avi's I have.

The resulting SVCD's have audio but no video. I'm using nero ver5.5 and nero's mpeg2 codec which works fine for some stuff. I read on divx digest that Nero ver 5.5 can encode divx to mpeg-1 for vcd's, is it the case that the mpeg-2 codec (svcd) doesn't work with divx.avi's...mmm. The avi files in question have 'DIV3', DivX 5.0 compression. I correctly set NSTC/PAL settings so that can't be it. Can anyone help?

Minty

I'd quite like to stick to using nero (everyone scoffs)
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Perhaps try converting with CCE or TMPGenc, and only burn with NERO? [thanks for pointing out the obvious, Setarip ]

Do the resulting svcd's play properly on your PC? Not all standalones support svcd.
    Last edited by Batman; 20 Nov 2002, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To Batman

"Try changing the audio to 44,000 hz from 48,000 hz?"

What could this possibly have to do with the poster stating that he DOES get audio, but gets no VIDEO?

Comment

• Mintymoke
        • Nov 2002

Thanks for replying!
        Tried the discs in my pc dvd player and they played exactly the same...sound and no video. My stand alone dvd player plays vcd's and svcd's.

I've have been succesfull when making svcd's using uncompressed avi's and avi's with an unknown compression (not divx). Unfortunately the movies i'd most like to back up are divx!!

If i use some of the software you mentioned, will it convert my divx into mpeg-1 or mpeg-2, and will I then have to package it up ready for burning myself, as I have no idea where to start with that!!! But if it's the only way then i'll give it a go. However any suggestions will be great, as I did pay for the Nero mpeg-2 encoder plug-in!!!

Cheers
        miss minty (not a he!)

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

vcdhelp.com is a great site with some good information on svcd's and standalones.

There is "No garantuee" as to whether or not your dvd player, in spite of the fact that is supposedly supports the svcd format, will playback home made discs. You might want to experiment with another brand of cd-r.

Comment

• Mintymoke
            • Nov 2002

It seems the problem is compressing my divx5.avis to mpeg-2.

The avi's have DIV3 Divx5 compression and play perfectly in winmp and divx player on my pc

I wont go in to all the detail, but I have imported the avi's into Virtualdub - audio, no video and the same happens in Adobe premiere 6

At the moment I'm trying to compress using TMPEGenc, and although it hasn't finished encoding the empty preview screen leads me to believe it will have the same outcome.

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

This problems seems very strange. Normally TMPGenc would or NERO would have no problem converting your files. Load the files in Virtualdub and post the "file information."

Do the mpeg-2 files you've encoded and burned with NERO play on your PC?

Pure speculation now:
              Perhaps try re-installing the codecs. Note: Do you have the divx 5 pro adaware bundle? If so have you tried to remove spyware from the divx codecs through adaware? It may account for your problems.

Comment

• Mintymoke
                • Nov 2002

Ok file info, here goes

VIDEO STREAM
                Frame size and fps - 352x288, 25 fps
                # of frames (time) - 67157 (44:46)
                Decompressor - Divx 5.0 Codec
                No. of keyframes - 443
                min/avg/max total keyframe size - 652/6991/14041 (3025K)
                min/avg/max total delta frame size - 77/2572/18574 (167598K)

AUDIO STREAM
                Sampling rate: 44100Hz
                Channels: 2 (stereo)
                Sample Precision: 0-bit
                Compression: Fraunhofer IIS Mpeg Layer-3 codec
                Preload skew: 5495 samples (012s)
                # of frames:67144
                min/avg/max total frame size: 228/479/5495 (31433K)

"Do the mpeg-2 files you've encoded and burned with NERO play on your PC?"

the problematic ones ...no
                others ...yes

....and Divx 5 bundle from divx.com, but I didn't encode the movies in question myself.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...