In Flask Mpeg, why isnt the sound there?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jansensan
    • Nov 2002

In Flask Mpeg, why isnt the sound there?

Hi! following the dvd to divx guide, i extracted the dvd files onto my drive. Now, it plays properly if I use a player (sound and video are great).

I tried to convert it into divx using Flask Mpeg.
    - 1st, the video was blocky... I guess i'd have to change the bitrate into the divx 502 config... What's the best thing? to rely on the quality based 1 pass or anything else?
    - Then, there was just no sound. What should I setup so that the sound and video are joined?

Any help would be great!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Under "Global Project Options", make certain to put a checkmarck next to "Decode Audio"...

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

1st, the video was blocky... I guess i'd have to change the bitrate into the divx 502 config... What's the best thing? to rely on the quality based 1 pass or anything else?
      Use 2-pass settings. If your bitrate is especially low for the particular resolution you are using, switching to Bilinear resize mode may yield better results.

Comment

• jansensan
        • Nov 2002

thanx about the idea for the sound... however im not sure how to test it but to convert the whole thing...

now, about that 2-pass thing... is there an ideal encoding bitrate? I mean should i put it to the max at 10000 kps (10mbps)?

also, i'll choose to de-interlace... it maight take forever, but it'll be cleaner with less frames...

thanx for the help already

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"thanx about the idea for the sound... however im not sure how to test it but to convert the whole thing..."

My pleasure ;>}

To test it, simply let Flask run for a couple of minutes and then abort (Click "Cancel"). You'll have created a forshortened DivX-compressed .AVI...

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by jansensan

now, about that 2-pass thing... is there an ideal encoding bitrate? I mean should i put it to the max at 10000 kps (10mbps)?

also, i'll choose to de-interlace... it maight take forever, but it'll be cleaner with less frames...

thanx for the help already
            An ideal encoding bitrate? None so far that I'm aware of since different video materials compress differently. However, around 1000 - 1750 kbps is pretty much considered normal or acceptable. 10000kbps is too high and you might as well use the 1-pass, Quality setting set at 100%.

As for deinterlacing, you might as well switch to GordianKnot which comes with a more powerful (shall I say more effective and properly working?) interlace artifact remover. I have never been satisfied by Flask's built-in deinterlacer.

Comment

• jansensan
              • Nov 2002

So I tried 2-pass with decode audio... it gave me an audio only avi file of my movie...

Now ill try enchanter's idea, 1-pass @ 100%. Also, I'll skip deinterlace for quicker results... what's that Guardianknot thing?

Thanx for the time you're taking for me guys...
              Last edited by jansensan; 1 Dec 2002, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

So I tried 2-pass with decode audio... it gave me an audio only avi file of my movie...
                What do you mean by that? An AVI file with blank video but working audio?

what's that Guardianknot thing?
                GordianKnot is another encoding rip pack, much like Flask, but with far more powerful options. It comes highly recommended when quality matters. As a matter of fact, a moderator of this forum, UncasMS, has created a guide on using GordianKnot and made it freely available in this forum. I strongly suggest you take a look and try it.

Comment

• jansensan
                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
                  What do you mean by that? An AVI file with blank video but working audio?
                  Yeah, that'S it... I tried another time, with the 1-pass bitrate not based on quality, it gave me a 18 mb file... I tried to play it but my computer goes 'rmanager: error - this file couldnt be found...' i dunno what to do no more...

Comment

• jansensan
                    • Nov 2002

AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Damn I,ll be mad soon... Now whenever I want to browse to open the .vob files i extracted, FlsakMpeg crashes... what do i do now? i erase the old and extracted the 0.6 (or 6.0) version, it does the same thing

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

My advice:
                      1. Use the older, more reliable Flask 0.594

OR

2. Use the even better and more powerful GordianKnot

Comment

• jansensan
                        • Nov 2002

My advice:
                        1. Use the older, more reliable Flask 0.594
                        Well, i uninstalled all my codecs + Flask, reinstalled everything + FlaskMpeg 0.6. I tried with on of my .vob file and it worked, but it only convert this .vob... I thought it was supposed to recognize the dvd structure... anywho, im not sure i wanna go back to the other one, this latest version is much more easier to use...

(I wonder if i'll be able to join all the convert .vob files in VirualDub afterwards?...)

2. Use the even better and more powerful GordianKnot
                        I downloaded it, but it seems complicated... im not gonna get into this subject it this thread... thanx anywho! ; P

---

I have another question and i dunno if i should start another thread...

In Vdub, I'm trying to append an avi file. I actually want to add a tv show to its intro. It keeps telling me the audio sample rate is different (15963.00000 vs. 16000.00000)

I mean, this is cutting hair in 4... couldnt it compensate? i've been trying to change that and i cant...

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

I downloaded it, but it seems complicated... im not gonna get into this subject it this thread... thanx anywho! ; P
                          There is a guide for it in this forum and I recommend you take a look at it. I assure you the quality will far surpass what Flask is capable of.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

"In Vdub, I'm trying to append an avi file. I actually want to add a tv show to its intro. It keeps telling me the audio sample rate is different (15963.00000 vs. 16000.00000)

I mean, this is cutting hair in 4... couldnt it compensate? i've been trying to change that and i cant..."

For EACH of the two files, do the following:

1) Load file into VirtualDub
                            2) Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
                            3) Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
                            4) From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression"
                            5) Select 22,050Hz
                            6) From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Conversion"
                            7) If necessary, put a checkmark next to "Display all formats"
                            8) Select your preferred sampling rate from amongst the 22,050Hz .MP3 rates listed
                            9) Click on "OK"
                            10) Save with a new filename

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• jansensan
                              • Nov 2002

well, i did that setarip... now it says the frame rate is not compatible (29.97000 vs. 29.96973)

i tried in the video dropdown menu to change the frame rate but still no good...

am i on the right way?

Comment

Working...