X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Racer
    • Nov 2002

DivX - YUV or RGB?

Hi!

Well, as we know Mpeg2 is in YUV colorspace. And when we try to rip DVD to DivX we do it in YUV colorspace. But there's 1 problem - when I put prepeared *.avs in VirtualDub, it shows, that source is in YUV colorspace, but no matter I use fast recompress or full processing mode, resulting DivX (3.11) is in RGB colorspace (I checked it with avisynth). When I tried to convert this *.avs to huffyuv, then all was o.k. - in full processing mode - RGB and in fast recompress - YUV. Why that's so? Does it mean that divX is in RGB colorspace? Any ideas?
  • Kevin AMD
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2002

maby use divx 4.** or 5.** ?
    Let's all try to help each other

Comment

• Racer
      • Nov 2002

Hmm, when I uninstal divX3 and install divX5, then divX5 decompress source (which was encoded with divX3 in fast recompress mode) in YUV colorspace... It means that divX3 decompressor can't decompress in YUV...

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

The main concern for switching between RGB and YUV is simply speed. It takes additional CPU power for conversion between the colour space and hence the slower encoding speed. Of another concern is probably the requirement by some Avisynth plug-ins that will only work under one of the colour space and not the other.

Personally, I don't see any difference between RGB or YUV (OK. I never paid attention actually, but even if there was, it is nothing to be irritated at). Are yyou seeing something that ruins the quality of the video?

Comment

• Racer
          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
          The main concern for switching between RGB and YUV is simply speed. It takes additional CPU power for conversion between the colour space and hence the slower encoding speed. Of another concern is probably the requirement by some Avisynth plug-ins that will only work under one of the colour space and not the other.

Personally, I don't see any difference between RGB or YUV (OK. I never paid attention actually, but even if there was, it is nothing to be irritated at). Are yyou seeing something that ruins the quality of the video?
          ---------------
          If to be frank - No. I think that 1 conversation between RGB and YUV can't brake quality.
          But in all guides (GordianKnot etc) we can read, that we must use fast recompress mode for preserving YUV (quality), but nobody in those guides explains that for playing we must use divX5 - IMHO it's bad

About speed - yes, on PII 350MHz there's big difference for decoding to use YUV or RGB, on PIV2GHz - ...

Comment

Working...