X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pisagor1
    • Dec 2002

Near video on demand

Hi all.
    what do you think about the below problem?

A near video on demand scheme works best when each frame set is the same size. Suppose that a movie is being shown in 24 simultaneous streams and that one frame in 10 is an I-frame. Also assume that I-frames are 10 times larger than P-Frames. B-frames are the same size as the P-frames. What is the probability that a buffer equal to 4 I-frames and 20 P-frames will not be big enough? Assume that frame types are randomly and independently distributed over the streams.
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

What is the average key frame interval ?
    Last edited by khp; 12 Dec 2002, 08:09 PM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Sounds like a challenging problem...

One question though. According to the statement "A near video on demand scheme works best when each frame set is the same size", that implies that we want all frames in a given stream to be of the same size. Knowing that B-frames and P-frames (let's associate them with the term BP) are of the same size, but not I-frames, that means that it is not desirable to have BP AND I-frames together under one stream.

Hence this would make the question "What is the probability that a buffer equal to 4 I-frames and 20 P-frames will not be big enough?" hard to answer. That is unless I'm misinterpreting the question and the minimum desired size (what is it anyway?).
      Last edited by Enchanter; 12 Dec 2002, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• pisagor1
        • Dec 2002

Re: Near video on demand

we may think it as 24 different streams ie 24 different videos so they are considered simultaneously occupying the bandwidth.
        So what can the solution be now?

Originally posted by pisagor1
        Hi all.
        what do you think about the below problem?

A near video on demand scheme works best when each frame set is the same size. Suppose that a movie is being shown in 24 simultaneous streams and that one frame in 10 is an I-frame. Also assume that I-frames are 10 times larger than P-Frames. B-frames are the same size as the P-frames. What is the probability that a buffer equal to 4 I-frames and 20 P-frames will not be big enough? Assume that frame types are randomly and independently distributed over the streams.

Comment

Working...