Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • traigo666
    • Dec 2002

1 & 2 pass comparison?

What is the real difference, aside from about 6 extra hours of encoding, between 1 pass and 2 pass? I have a DivX movie that encoded 1 pass in 3 hrs and came to 435mb. Then I burned it to VCD. The quality of the video is the same on a 32" RCA TV as is on a 17" HP monitor. It took ~10 hrs for the first attempt at 2 pass, but the video came out to 735mb, so I couldn't put it on a CD and test the quality. I encoded only the first few seconds and wasted a good cd to try it, and there didn't seem to be a difference.

Thanks,

Traigo
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

What is the real difference, aside from about 6 extra hours of encoding, between 1 pass and 2 pass?
    Quality and better space-usage efficiency. This applies true to most movies with fast- and also slow-motion scenes.

I have a DivX movie that encoded 1 pass in 3 hrs and came to 435mb. Then I burned it to VCD. The quality of the video is the same on a 32" RCA TV as is on a 17" HP monitor. It took ~10 hrs for the first attempt at 2 pass, but the video came out to 735mb, so I couldn't put it on a CD and test the quality.
    That does not make sense. The size of the final AVI depends largely on the bitrate assigned by the encoder, not on whether done on 1- or 2-pass mode.

Another thing is that you burned the AVI to VCD, thus converting it to yet another format. This eliminates the point of doing 2-pass encoding since the quality of the VCD will definitely be different (not better) from the AVI.

Comment

Working...