Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeepTd
    • Jan 2003

Making the jump from vcd to svcd

Hello everybody. I am fairly new to the vcd scene. I want to make the jump to svcd. My question is in regards to the mpeg2 format. Do I have to purchase the TMPGEnc mpeg2 upgrade to encode svcd's, or can I purchase any mpeg2 encoder(codec?) and TMPGEnc will work?
    Thanks for your time.
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

it's best to purchase TMPGEnc, as it is fast and a high quality encoder, remember, u have 14 days trial on the plus version.

install good selection of MPEG2 codecs first, like cyberlink powerDVD....good luck

Comment

• DeepTd
      • Jan 2003

Thanks for the reply.

Another question. You say to pick up power dvd and mpeg2 codecs. I'm assuming you said this if I intended to view them on my cpu?

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

yeh, just powerdvd. and yes, to view them on ur CPU and to encode to MPEG2 cause TMPGEnc uses MPEG2 filters to encode to MPEG2

Comment

• DeepTd
          • Jan 2003

Ok that is what I thought you meant. Puzzling thing is, I was never aware of dl'ing mpeg2 codecs, but can author svcd's perfectly with the trial of tmpgenc. Maybe my gfx card(redeon 7500) software has them and I didnt know it?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"can author svcd's perfectly with the trial of tmpgenc"

Yes, TMPGEnc has MPEG2/MPEG2-SuperVideoCD (as well as MPEG1/MPEG1-VideoCD) capabilities built-in - it's just that at the end of the trial period you are limited to only MPEG1/MPEG1-VideoCD capabilities...

Comment

• DeepTd
              • Jan 2003

Ok. Thanks fellas. I just wanted to make sure I purchased the correct things. I plan on getting the upgrade for tmpgenc when the trial runs out. Great proggie. dang near noob proof

Again, thanks for the responses.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...