X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Vargas
    • Jan 2003

Novice need advice

Hi all:

I am completely new to video issues and wanted to make you guys some questions for me to get started.

1. I bought a Sony TRV140. I connected it to my PC by mean of the USB port. When capturing video using Vegas Video, I am not able to set a video resolution higher than 320x240 pixels. So my question: Is this resolution enough for getting a decent video printed to tape (say VHS) after editing in the PC. By decent I mean a video quality similar to broadcast TV quality.
    2. Can I get better video resolution by using the DV connector?
    3. Please let me know about web sites that can help me to get started in the (home) video world.

Thanks...John
  • Gazorgan
    • Jan 2003

USB

USB has SEVERE limitations as a capture device. The best you can hope for is poor quality. I'm not aware of any USB 2.0 devices that have better resolution. Only the expensive hardware assisted devices can get a medium quality.

Look at some of the dedicated cards. I capture at 720x480 on a $30 US card and the video is better than VHS quality. In fact, it is near DVD quality when I convert it to DVD. It is Mono sound, so I suppose you can spring for a stereo card. Fortunately my Cable Box has Video and Stereo out, so I rarely use the tuner feature....
    Last edited by Gazorgan; 10 Jan 2003, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...