Motion Blur HELL in WinDVR 2 and PowerVCR II v3.0!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GMBGarou
    • Jan 2003

Motion Blur HELL in WinDVR 2 and PowerVCR II v3.0!

Okay. I am having a problem with both PowerVCR and WinDVR. First of all let me list my system specs here.

CPU: 800 MHZ Athlon Thunderbird (Socket 7)
    Motherboard: ABIT KT7A v1.3
    RAM: 320 MB of PC133 Memory
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 20 GB 7200 RPM
    Video Card: 32 MB GeForce 2 GTS (Creative Labs) (AGP Slot) (41.09 NVidia Detonator Drivers)
    TV Capture Card: ATI TV Wonder PCI (BT878 Chipset) (TEMIC 4036 FY5)
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer (Latest to date of this post)
    Operating System: Windows XP SP1

Okay. Now that's out of the way. Here is the problem that I am having.
    I have downloaded both Cyberlink PowerVCR II 3.0 and WinDVR 2. It would seem that in both DVR players I get a rather ANNOYING motion blur problem whenever I try capturing anything with a lot of motion with them. Here is a screenshot I captured from Sonic Adventure 2 for the dreamcast to show you exactly the problem I am having.

You can clearly see the motion blur problem here. I have tried capturing in various formats (MPEG, AVI, DIVX) and various encoding bitrates, framerates and resolutions, but nothing changes. The motion blur is still there.

Yet, when I try capturing in ATI's Multimedia Center software v7.6, the motion blur problem is non-existant, as you can see here.

The only reason why I am not using ATI's software is because it maxes out at a 640X240 resolution where when I use both WinDVR 2 and PowerDVR II v3.0 I can achive captures at much higher resolutions.

I have also tried the latest BTWinCap drivers v5.3.5 from this site, http://btwincap.sourceforge.net but they didn't stop the motion blurring effect either.

I would like to know if there is a way of achiving a capture equal to or higher than 640X480 WITHOUT the motion blurring effects. Am I using the wrong software? If so, what should I be using then? Please help me. I am desperate!
    Last edited by GMBGarou; 16 Jan 2003, 08:13 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

There are no images in your posting...

Comment

• gs0666
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by setarip
      Yes there is......slow connection?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To gs0666

Nope. Just came back online (after my earlier post). I still see no images in this thread...

Third time's a charm (Mysterious though) ;>}
        Last edited by setarip; 15 Jan 2003, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

In addition to "ghosting", your first image appears to be vertically distorted.

What is the native resolution of the dreamcast graphics?

Comment

• GMBGarou
            • Jan 2003

It should be 640 X 480 native resolution.

Comment

• sneglen
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Oct 2002

I think your problem is that the Dreamcast (and all other gamestations) are outputting 50 or 60 FPS (50 on Pal Tv's and 60 on NTSC Tv's) then you get "Half frames" caused by interlacing. the thing the ATI software does is to halfen the image then you won't get the interlaced lines. And then PowerVCR II mix the two fields together so you wint get those Awful lines. I on't know how to fix it but I think this is why it looks like this.

It will not matter anyway because waching the game (or whatever) will still look wierd on your computer screen because of the 50 half frames.

the problem with using a TV to output to is that it only runs wither 25 or 30 FPS and when using these 2 you will not get a very fluid movement, thats why they are using the half frames.

Now you know whats wrong perhaps you can find a way to solve the problem.

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

• GMBGarou
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by sneglen
                I think your problem is that the Dreamcast (and all other gamestations) are outputting 50 or 60 FPS (50 on Pal Tv's and 60 on NTSC Tv's) then you get "Half frames" caused by interlacing. the thing the ATI software does is to halfen the image then you won't get the interlaced lines. And then PowerVCR II mix the two fields together so you wint get those Awful lines. I on't know how to fix it but I think this is why it looks like this.

It will not matter anyway because waching the game (or whatever) will still look wierd on your computer screen because of the 50 half frames.

the problem with using a TV to output to is that it only runs wither 25 or 30 FPS and when using these 2 you will not get a very fluid movement, thats why they are using the half frames.

Now you know whats wrong perhaps you can find a way to solve the problem.

Is there a way to output at 640 X 480 at 30 frames per second, without interlaced lines? Is there a program that could do it, or do I simply have to revert to using 320 X 240 at 30 frames per second, to avoid the interlacing effect.
                Last edited by GMBGarou; 16 Jan 2003, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• GMBGarou
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by setarip
                  Sorry about that. I shouldn't have used the BMP format to capture the pictures. They're huge. I encoded the pictures in JPEG and updated the links pointed to the jpeg ones. THey're much smaller in file size and should load better now.

Comment

• GMBGarou
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by gs0666
                    Yes there is......slow connection?
                    Nope. It's just that they're encoded in BMP. I encoded them to JPEG files so that they'll be smaller.

Comment

• sneglen
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • Oct 2002

You cannot get the full resolution of 640x480 withoput the interlaced lines, because they are display 1/60 of a second from each other. You get one half frame and then 1/60 of a second later you get a new half frame, therfore they don't match, and that is why you get an interlaced frame.

So to get a non-interlaced frame you have to discard one of the fields or blend them together like PowerVCR II seems to do. So I would say that you need to capture at half resolution x240 to get a non-interlaced image. The problem with this is that you get a not so smooth playback as you would with the Dreamcast console.

othervise you need to get a program like VirtualDub (http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...irtualdub.html) that can capture the Interlaced and then seperate the fields to get a 60 frames per second movie to get a smoother playback with Avisyth (Don't know the Link)

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

Working...