How to Capture Analog to Computer Newbie Question?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bribri99
    • Jan 2003

Hey guys, yet another newbie..(and sorry for the cross post)

but i have an analog connection from my ps2, and i want to capture it on my computer, and burn it to a CD only to view it as a movie only on my computer (no dvd involved)...my questions are

1) does the video capture card type really matter in quality or is 30fps and 640 resolution okay?
    2) do i need an expensive program for it?
    3) what will should i record it as? (mpeg, avi, divx) and how?
    4) how much space will it take? (like MB per minute?
    how long will it take?
    5) anything else..

thanks guys so much
  • PraxZeus
    • Dec 2002

The main thing you'll need is some type of TV capture card....If you dont already have one, Like ATI Radion all in wonder, or happauge. ATI also makes a usb version tv card which has most of the same features as the AGP/pci cosins with out 3d capibility, Incase you dont have a free slot or not willing to down-grad from your current card. With a capture card you will then have input ports allowing you to display anything from you TV screen/ PS2 ect......you can then use the propitary software that comes with your card.....or a third party answer like virtual dub- "The Best Freeware tool BarNone", to encode to an .Avi which in turn you can convert to divx which will retain a high quality audio/video and be a fraction of the size from the origional file...... I hope this helps point you in the right direction...goodluck

- PraxZeus

Comment

• bribri99
      • Jan 2003

thanks!..just wondering..how long does the avi->divx take....also how much space?

Comment

• PraxZeus
        • Dec 2002

The Initial file size of a High quality .AVI will be quite large indeed, due to the fact it will be a RAW format "Un-compressed audio and video", which is why Divx is such a popular format, you can get high quality audio and video image at a realitivly low file size going from aprox. a 2 gig to say a700 meg file or better. Hard drive space will definitly play a huge factor in your enocding options. Large amounts of free space is a must, as awell as free time. Idealy if you have a second PC with a clock speed of at least 600 mhz and 4 gigs of free Hard drive space would suit your needs Otherwise you will have your primary machine tied up for hours at a time. "Just food for thought". What you may want to do is encode in sections doing half at a time cutting during a low action point of a movie, or even quarters depending on what best suits your needs. Also what ask your self what you ultimatly intend to store you files as ...For example if you plan on say backing up your favorite dvds so you can take them on the go while you travel with your lap top, Divx is the way to go "Although I'd recomend ripping with some of the dvd tools availible than capturing for the sake of quality"., Or are you importing old VHS tapes, home moves ect. and looking to send them to Family and friends, or looking to preserve them on a digital format. Cause if thats the Case I would go with Mpeg2 over divx due to the fact Mpeg2 is exportible to Svcd/VCD much easier that divx is,- "Converts with higher quality" and both SVCD and VCD can be played on most of the later DVD players. Justn remember the higher the quality you wish to encode The larger the file size will be and the longer it will take.

Comment

Working...