Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • groz
    • Jan 2002

Problems playing AC3 sound

I have a Divx that has had the audio encoded onto it in AC3 format. However when i try to play the divx back through either media player, file player for my ATi graphics card or through The Playa or even BSPlayer, i do not seem to be able to hear any of the sound.

Is this problem due to the fact that i dont have a surround sound sound card or is there a codec or similar that i need to download to be able to listen to it?

If not, is there a way to recover the AC3 from the DIVX and then re-encode it?

Cheers

Groz
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If you have a software DVD player installed, such as WinDVD,
    use DVD Genie to register its (MPEG2) filters on your PC. This will allow other programs, such as Windows Media Player to use them - and play your .AC3 .AVIs (as well as MPEG2 files).

Also note that WinDVD (3.xxx) will, itself, properly play such files.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• groz
      • Jan 2002

Unfortunately i dont have win DVD or Power DVD, i just have the DVD player that came with my Radeon graphics card!

Whilst playing the DVD, there is occasionaly a blip of sound, but only about half a second then it goes again.

is it worth getting hold of win dvd?

cheers

Comment

• groz
        • Jan 2002

I have DVD software installed and i can play DVD's alright and other Divx's its just this one with the sound in AC3 format that i am really struggling with!

Do you still think that i will need to get win DVD for it to work?

Cheers

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Either WinDVD, or similar (and DVD Genie - a freebie - to register WinDVD's MPEG2 decoders with Windows), or , if you can find the WinDVD MPEG2 decoders (or similar) separately somewhere.

Comment

• Brain
            • Nov 2001

That is similar to my problem. I thought I just encoded the ac3 track with the divx video track wrong. Because only video played back, no audio with Ati File Player, MS Media Player, playa, I tried powerdivx next gen but it doesnt play back my movies that i encode in divx 4.12 only the old divx 3.22.(anybody else have that problem?) So that didnt work.

I havent try what he suggested with dvd genie or windvd.
            I'll try that today..

Brain

btw How do you guys get that many posts?
            600 or more geez.. I'll always be a junior member hehe
            : (

Comment

• groz
              • Jan 2002

I have managed to sort this problem out. All i had to do was install the AC3 filters which i found at the folllowing link

That did the trick for me so hope that this helps

groz

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Congratulations on finding the WinDVD decoder/filter/.ax (iviaudio.ax) file I spoke of. Enjoy ;>}

Comment

Working...