X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShuMO
    • Dec 2002

FrameRate suggestion

I post this in case it helps someone.

I had an file that was an odd framerate. 20 FPS. When I used virtdub to adjust it to 23.976, you could see the increased speed and it was disconcerting.

What I ended up doing was firing up AVIsynth and using the ConvertFPS(23.976). This command keeps the film length intact and basically 'generates' duplicates of frames to keep the file playback timing all in sync. To use it, you'll need to convert to YuY2 if its not already.

For files that were slightly off... say 23.973 or close ... its easier to allow the Vdub to mod the header and change the playback framerate... make sure you either leave the audio stream on the file prior to your edits or it will cause a sync problem afterwards if your doing any other edits.
    ShuMO
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Why not just keep the file as it is, at 20 fps ?. When you add duplicate frames you will get a slight jerkiness, not to mention the quality loss caused by reencoding.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• ShuMO
      • Dec 2002

Forgive me...

I hadn't really clarified that post.
      I'm generating SVCD and found that if I hand 20 FPS to DVD2AVI it tosses the adjusted framerate in for me. Hence my problem on playback... (squeeky voices etc.)

By editing the Avs file I can get the result I want to achieve. Also, I've seen so many posts regarding synch problems many of which are caused by muxing after adjusting framerate I was hoping this might cause a light to go off for some. Shrug.
      ShuMO

Comment

Working...