Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xzyx987X
    • Jan 2003

Encoding degraded video

I'm trying to encode a fansub I bought over the internet recently into divx, but the quality is pretty severerly degraded and I was wondering if there's anything I can to to fix it up a bit. Here is a screen grab of the video. The main problem with it is that for some reason most of the lines of pixels have been moved to th right, causing the whole picture to be messed up. Basically what I need, is a virtaul dub filter (or anything else that might work) that will shift rows of pixels to the left for however many black pixels they start out with. Anyone got any ideas?
  • chickeneater
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2002

is this a cam?
    FFDShow filters
    Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Xzyx987X
      • Jan 2003

No it's a fansub, an anime tape subtitled by fans rather than comercially. And the version of the tape I have is probobly a copy of a copy of a copy of the original so it needs some fixing up before it'll look any good.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

I believe that "fixing up" comes in the form of smoothing.

If possible, capture using a lossless codec and from there, apply the smoother and compress to DivX. That should retain as much quality as possible whilst removing the artifacts.

Comment

• Xzyx987X
          • Jan 2003

You see artifacts in that? I don't know how that's possible since I encoded it in raw rgb format to start out with. Anyway though I know allready that I need to use a smoother, that's not really the problem. I posted a new picture here that better illustrates it (the one on the right.) As you can see the insertion of black pixels at the beggining of each line is causing some major video distortion. What I need is a filter that will shift those black pixels to the opposite end of the picture. I know there will still be black on it but at least the distortion will be fixed. You know of anything that can do this?

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

You see artifacts in that? I don't know how that's possible since I encoded it in raw rgb format to start out with. Anyway though I know allready that I need to use a smoother, that's not really the problem.
            Well, what you see that requires smoothing I call artifacts. This artifact is very most likely caused by the successive capture to tapes, and hence needs to be cleaned up using smoothers or equivalent cleaners.

What I need is a filter that will shift those black pixels to the opposite end of the picture. I know there will still be black on it but at least the distortion will be fixed. You know of anything that can do this?
            Not an exact solution, but you could crop off the parts affected by the black area.

Comment

Working...