Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaw_1973
    • Jan 2003

Help me with Virtual Memory please

Could someone please tell me what to do, I was putting a movie on a CD and after a long wait a message came up to say I had run out of Virtual Memory, What do I need to do?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

As long as the computer does not crash or act funny, leave it alone. Windows wil automatically resize the Virtual memory pool to accomodate the impending demand.

Comment

• jaw_1973
      • Jan 2003

Virtual Memory

Thanks, but it stops and also tells me to insert valid media, or something like that

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

How much free space do you have on the partition where your burner program stores its temporary cache (usually the same partition where the program is installed).

Comment

• jaw_1973
          • Jan 2003

Virtual Memory

How do I find that out?
          I am new to all this, not very clued up on PC

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Assuming your burner program is located on the C drive, how much free space is there on the partition? (Open My Computer and left-click once on the C Drive icon).

Comment

• jaw_1973
              • Jan 2003

Virtual Memory

When i left click on the C:drive it says 18.7GB

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Let's increase the Virtual Memory size manually then.

Assuming you are running WinXP, go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Tab -> Performance (Settings) -> Advanced Tab -> Virtual Memory -> Change (Try saying that in one breath ).

Select Custom Size and insert the appropriate amount for both the initial and maximum size. I prefer using static virtual memory size and so I always go for equal amounts of initial and maximum size (it's up to you to choose different amounts anyway). As a general guide, if you have 256MB of RAM or more, assign at least 256MB of virtual memory (if you have more RAM, you can probably do with less). The less RAM, the more virtual memory you should assign.

In your case, it's probably wise to use 768MB of virtual memory and see whether it solves your problem.

Comment

Working...