• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flypig
    • Jan 2003

Which DVD format is BETTER...?

Region 1: NTSC 525lines progressive
    Region 2: PAL 625lines interlaced

My TV is Toshiba 34D9UXC and I've a DVD-rom...
    Which format of the two is better when watching??
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: Which DVD format is BETTER...?

Originally posted by flypig
    Region 1: NTSC 525lines progressive
    Region 2: PAL 625lines interlaced

My TV is Toshiba 34D9UXC and I've a DVD-rom...
    Which format of the two is better when watching??
    Irrelevant.

Use the format that is generally used in your country. For example, DVDs in Australia are in PAL format, and I believe the US use the NTSC format. There is no such thing which is better. You just pop the DVD into the drive and play the movie.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

A) If you're referring to commercial DVDs, virtually ALL PAL DVDs are NOT interlaced

B) If your standalone DVD player can playback (and your telivision can present) PAL videos, it's logical to assume that 625 scanlines of resoltuion would present better detail than would 525...

Comment

• ShuMO
        • Dec 2002

portability

I try to keep in mind that I'm shooting for functional backups. To me function includes being able to take my CD elsewhere. With that in mind, if I live in the US I want the backup I make to work with more than just my own equipment and therefore NTSC is most appropriate.
        In fewer words, Enchanters advice is more appropriate, stay with the format that gives you the best chance to work when playback on your Moms, brothers, or sisters equipment as well - not just your own.
        ShuMO

Comment

• flypig
          • Jan 2003

I think that we should notice that the differences between the two formats.

Although PAL has 625 lines, it's interlaced (worse than Progressive).
          NTSC is Progressive, but it has only 525 lines (less than 625).

I've got some Region 1 and 2 DVDs of same movies. (e.g. Titanic, I have 3 DVDs, A.Region 1, NTSC, progressive,525 lines; B.Region2 PAL, interlaced, 625 lines; C.Region 6), and my equipment is Region-Free...and support both progressive and interlaced, PAL and NTSC....

I just want 2 know that which DVD format has the BEST GRAPHIC QUALITY.

Please answer me....
          Last edited by flypig; 27 Jan 2003, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I just want 2 know that which DVD format has the BEST GRAPHIC QUALITY."

If you insist on excluding the effects of 525 versus 625 scanlines (as well as the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz) and the difference between progressive and interlaced (even though the vast majority of commercial PAL DVDs aren't interlaced), then the answer to your question can only be - since they all use the same initial source (the only remaining "graphic quality" factor), the quality is identical...

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

B.Region2 PAL, interlaced, 625 lines
              I have a few of those and they give me nightmares . . .

Comment

• flypig
                • Jan 2003

Nightmares??Why??How???

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

The contents of these DVDs are actually originally FILM-contents (23.97fps) and they have been sped up to PAL transmission at 25fps. What really annoys the hell out of me is how difficult to deinterlace they are and even after I managed to clean up the interlace artifacts, I started noticing skippy frames or such. Wish I had bought the NTSC version instead. There are methods that can be used to properly remove the interlace artifacts and at the same time, restore the framerate to the original 23.97fps.

Comment

• xvid
                    • Jan 2003

Enchanter is that an easy process ( easy, yeah right ) to restore the frame rate to the original.
                    I have encoded ALOT of movies and about 3% have given me nightmares. The movie is almost like its playing to fast and the sound is trying to play in the same amount of time. So instead of the sound playing faster it just skips beats, every fifth beat or so.
                    There are faintly noticable interlaced lines around moving characters.
                    So without getting and eye full for not starting a new thread,
                    My question is
                    Does this sound like what happen to you and your PAL vids.
                    These vids included:

1 80's BBBC production
                    1 Bio of a most likely BBC production
                    and an old US movie about two guys two two wheelers and a gas tank full of money

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Enchanter is that an easy process ( easy, yeah right ) to restore the frame rate to the original.
                      If we are talking about originally-FILM NTSC material, it's dead easy. IF we are talking about originally-FILM material that has somehow been sped up to conform to the PAL standard, this is where the fun (or frustration, if you prefer) begin. I'm sure there must be a solution for this somewhere in Doom9's forum, but I can't be bothered with converting this kind of DVD (better to move on).

What are your DVD movies formats?

Comment

• flypig
                        • Jan 2003

I'm in mainland China...I can buy only Region 6 DVDs in the markets...but the Graphic $ucks... (interlaced, low BitRate)!!!!!!

Some friends i met online help me to buy some DVDs of other Regions and send them to me.

A friend in HongKong sent me some Region 3 DVDs... thery're so good... same BitRate as Region 1 DVDs...and..the most important... Chinese Subtitles!!!! ^______^

A friend in Germany sent me some Region 2 ones... some of them are interlaced... like Titanic, Independence Day.... not very good i think....

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

I'm in mainland China...I can buy only Region 6 DVDs in the markets...but the Graphic $ucks... (interlaced, low BitRate)!!!!!!
                          Even if it is in DVDs, it does not mean that the picture is good. It's up to the producers what bitrate and also what quality of the source to use. I've seen a DVD which, in addition to TV-like picture, consists of 128kbps 2.0 AC3 file. Ain't that just sucks?

Interlaced... sounds like NTSC to me. Can you determine what exactly are the formats of those DVDs?

Comment

• flypig
                            • Jan 2003

Interlaced and progressive are two scaning types of DVDs... Cant I consider it as a kind of Format?

Region 2, 4 and 6 DVDs r all PAL.

Comment

Working...