Help needed getting my PC to play movies on the TV through a s-video/scart cable

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funkster
    • Jun 2002

Help needed getting my PC to play movies on the TV through a s-video/scart cable

Hi,

I'm having serious difficulty trying to get my computer connected to the TV downstairs to play movies etc

I've got an MSI Geforce3 Ti200 card, and bought a 10m cable with scart on one end for the TV, and S-Video 4 pin plug and audio plug for the PC

I've messed around with this all day, but to no avail. I have found that if I unplug my monitor and then restart my machine, I get a flicker and see the bios and startup stuff on the TV downstairs, but in very bad almost black and white flickering picture - then it just goes totally black, leaving me with no other option than to plug the monitor back in, restart and scratch my head some more!

Can anyone help - any tips or help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Steve
  • The Edge
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jan 2003

On my Radeon, if the region is set wrong (eg PAL/NTSC) I get a black and white display. PAL in my case. Also, the TV must be turn on before I start my system or it's not detected. Similar setup to your own.

Edge
    Last edited by The Edge; 2 Feb 2003, 06:53 AM.
    "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• simmmy
      • Jan 2003

Don`t kow if you`ve thought of this ...but...have you tried changing your refresh rates on your graphics card....might be trial and error...just a thought.

Simmmy

Comment

• funkster
        • Jun 2002

Tried Pal/NTSC, tried refresh rates...

I have managed to get some sort of image and sound on the TV, but it automatically shuts down my monitor so stops me from trying different things once it's downstairs on the TV - and the display on the TV downstairs is almost black and white and terrible quality...

Driving me nuts!

Do you think my video card is just rubbish??

Is it normal for once the image is sent to the TV it shuts off the image on the monitor?

Any more help greatly appreciated

Comment

• The Edge
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jan 2003

Yes it's normal. A windows thing.
          Not sure if the Nvidia Dentenator drivers will improve things.....I don't have a Nvidia card

Edge
          "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• funkster
            • Jun 2002

Got the latest drivers, thanks anyway Edge..

Comment

• funkster
              • Jun 2002

When TV out works properly, should I be seeing a colour image as good as I see on the PC?

There's nothing wrong with my TV - it's an up-to-date Phillips 28"

By the way, Edge - your favourite topless beauty, Nikkala, is marvellous! Outstanding breasts - so much better than the huge concrete jobs the typical model seems to sport nowadays!

(It's on the link under Edge's signiture in case anyone wants a nosy!)
              Last edited by funkster; 2 Feb 2003, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

The reason you are getting a black/white picture is mostlikely that you are using an S-Video output on the graphics card while the input on your TV is composite.

To get good quality with an nVidia card you should probably try using TV-Tool.

Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
                http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• The Edge
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jan 2003

Yes, Nikkala is my girlfriend.

Edge

Comment

Working...