Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mutka86
    • Feb 2003

.avi compressor

where can i get a program thatl let me open .avi's and compress them even more (reduce quality) and then save them back to avi format?
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Search the forums for Reduce Quality.... There was a post like this 3 days ago... Thanks

SKD_Tech

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Re: .avi compressor

Originally posted by mutka86
      where can i get a program thatl let me open .avi's and compress them even more (reduce quality) and then save them back to avi format?
      VirtualDub.

The following quick guide may be of help to you:
      1. Open AVI file in VirtualDub
      2. Set Video tab to Full Processing Mode
      3. Set Audio tab to Direct Stream Copy
      4. Under Video, select Compression and choose the DivX codec. Input the new bitrate that you have determined using a bitrate calculator. Choose 2-pass encoding mode in order to minimise loss of quality
      5. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file

Comment

• BigJ
        • Feb 2003

.avi compressing w/ virtual dub

I used virtual dub to compress an .avi and i used the instructions listed several times on the boards. but my new compressed .avi comes out to look like absolute crap quality. does this happen if an .avi is already compressed with a certain codec and i try to recompress it with another codec?

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Re: .avi compressing w/ virtual dub

Originally posted by BigJ
          I used virtual dub to compress an .avi and i used the instructions listed several times on the boards. but my new compressed .avi comes out to look like absolute crap quality. does this happen if an .avi is already compressed with a certain codec and i try to recompress it with another codec?
          That depends on what bitrate you have chosen to use and resolution of the video.

In addition to that, one should be aware that recompressing a video, previously compressed with a lossy codec, with another lossy codec is a definite path to loss of quality. Even more so when the new bitrate is substantially lower than that of the original AVI.

Comment

Working...