• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Edge
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jan 2003

VirtualDub 1.5.0

VirtualDub 1.5.0 is out. From the user's prospective, 1.5.0 consists mostly of bug fixes, not the revolutionary change you would expect from a major version bump. The reason for the major bump is that the program has been internally restructured, breaking out some code into libraries and cleaning up the build process significantly. Sources are no longer split across four archives and sylia.dll is no longer statically linked, which should simplify project management a bit.

That is not to say that there are no new features in this release, however. 1.5.0 is the first release to have audio filtering, which has been a requested feature for some time. Now, the audio filtering system is quite rough at this point -- it's not optimized, and the filter selection is a bit sparse. You also cannot write external audio filters yet, although that is definitely going to change. The current selection of audio filters consists mainly of miscellaneous algorithms that I have been playing with for a while within a sandbox WinAmp 2 plugin:

Center cut. The classic "vocal cut" filter, except that the output is stereo instead of mono. This is accomplished through FFT phase analysis; the output will have some warbling in it, but stereo separation is preserved. Also known as the "make your own karaoke to embarrass yourself with" filter.
    Ratty phase shift. A time-domain, sawtooth-swept delay line, with rake-like correlation to smooth out the jumps. Good for about +/-20% variation in pitch.

Now, you might ask what a pitch shifter is good for with video. Well, 1.5.0 also contains a stretch filter that allows you to slow down or speed up audio, like a tweaked tape recorder. Combine a stretch and a matched pitch shift, and you get a time stretcher. If you set the pitch shifter and stretcher to the same ratio and tweak the video frame rate to match, you can speed up or slow down video. (Yes, you can now make "Sakura Saku" even faster!) I'm still looking for a better pitch shift algorithm -- the current version has problems with clicking when multiple dominant tones are present. I tried a frequency-domain version once, but it didn't work out too well: frequency-based algorithms don't like sharp attacks and tend to "smear" them, making percussives sound mushy.
    Source: virtualdub.org

Edge
    "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

What is your relationship to Avery Lee and his VirtualDub program?

Comment

• The Edge
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jan 2003

Absolutly no relationship what so ever I'm afraid. Just quoting from his site. What gave you that idea?

Edge
      "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• digitaldick
        • Feb 2003

More about VirtualDub

Does it have a "User Manual"? Wouldn't this be a good idea?
        be humble....be wise!

Comment

• chickeneater
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2002

a good idea unless you want to do it...
          it is hard writing software. like i once wrote a simple dos program that calculated the weight of a waterdrop if you put in the height and diameter. I was sweating trying to figure it out.
          so its not easy doing these things. but yes, a manual would be nice.
          FFDShow filters
          Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Re: More about VirtualDub

Originally posted by digitaldick
            Does it have a "User Manual"? Wouldn't this be a good idea?
            Have you tried looking at the help files ?.
            Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
            http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• digitaldick
              • Feb 2003

more about that...

Huh? A great piece of software like VirtualDub is wasted until it can be explained to the user in a way the user can understand, IMHO! Explaining how to do certain things would go a long, long way in the making of this application into a "mainstream" product. As it is now it remains kind of an "underground" thing, useful to the few who are insiders to the art of video dubbing and video production but, to many many others who are not at that level and who are referred to VirtualDub as a means to help them determine if an incomplete video file downloaded over 7-10 days is fraud or legit, it remains a mystery! Explanation is usually not easy but, IMHO, it is vital! If it is too complicated to get ex-plained, it should be reconsidered . I'd be happy to help. My qualifications- I speak newbie...hell, I am newbie!
              be humble....be wise!

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

Re: more about that...

Originally posted by digitaldick
                IMHO! Explaining how to do certain things would go a long, long way in the making of this application into a "mainstream" product.
                I can only assume that you have not yet found the Help->'Using virtualdub'->'How do I...' section.
                Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
                http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

Glad to see a new version of Virtualdub out. For the price of $0.00 it's a great piece of software.

The Virtualdubmod team has already started work on a new virtualdubmod based on this new version.

Comment

• digitaldick
                    • Feb 2003

more about that......

You assumed wrong! The documentation that can be found with VirtualDub Help is superbly written but it is not a true "how to use me" although it is titled "Users Guide" and this is what is also needed, IMHO, because now the users of this great program are not would be film makers but everyday joes who only want to view a movie!
                    As I mentioned, VirtualDub is being suggested to many as a program that will help them figure out why a movie will not play. The popularity of p2p sharing and broad band downloading are making help in this area a high demand market. The "How Do I " help from VirtualDub's User Guide does not mention anything in this regard, instead it focuses on it's value as a linear editing solution and conversion utility. So my suggestion is to include a "how to" that helps the person who only wants to investigate his/her playback problem and not learn the intricacies of video production, at least not yet! I think that Mr. Lee could capture a tremendous share of the newbie market by just adding some detail in this regard. Either that or he could just acknowledge the great help that can be found here on this Board! Just my $.02
                    be humble....be wise!

Comment

Working...