Win 98 and an old fellow computer, how to watch DivX movies? urgent help preferred.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mavilim
    • Feb 2003

Win 98 and an old fellow computer, how to watch DivX movies? urgent help preferred.

Hello everyone in the forum.
    I m rather new to DivX forum. Anyways, I have a problem and any suggestion would be appreciated greatly.
    Now, I have a computer (rather old one) working with Win98 as OS and it has a processor of AMD K-6 333 Mhz. I have upgraded the usual memory of 32 MB to 160 MB which is said to be the upper limit.
    I can dl DivX movies without any trouble. However, the trouble starts when I try to watch them. I can hear the sound perfectly from the movie, but the screen is too slow to catch up with the sound. The picture is perfectly seen but in a kind of slow motion.
    I have tried several things for this, downloaded (seperately) the most of the available codecs. Tried most of the players available on download.com. But still, movies are in slow motion.
    I would appreciate greatly if someone can kindly help me to solve this problem. (I m not going to change my computer, naturally )
    Take care.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Reduce your DESKTOP resolution (to, perhaps, 640x480)

2) Reduce your DESKTOP color depth (to, perhaps, 256 colors)

3) Close any non-critical programs running in the background

Comment

• mavilim
      • Feb 2003

Dear setarip,
      Thank you for your kind advices. I tried all, but still doesn t work. Slow motion....... Any other kind suggestions?
      Take care

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Only the most obvious one then...

Comment

• McMillan
          • Feb 2003

a. open the file in some playa, E.G. BSPlayer
          b. right-click the picture
          c. point to properties -> filters -> DivX decoder
          d. reduce quality level to lowest (all the way to the left)
          e. re-open the file
          f. if that fails, than, stop being such a scrudge and get a P4
          g. have fun
          ...this MIGHT not be the best picture that I have...

Comment

• Fimbulvetr
            • Feb 2003

I'm having the same problem with my computer (P2 266 64MB Ram). I can't really help, I can only tell you how I solve this problem.
            1.) I burn the files to CD and take them to a friend who has a P4. (you just have to find someone who likes the same kind of movies/videos/whatever I'm only 19 and that may be the reason why I kinda like this solution)
            2.) I recently bought myself a laptop (duron900 384MB Ram), bought a network card and a long cable and now I can watch the files on my laptop. (i know this is pretty close to the suggestion to by a new computer)
            3.) I loaded the files into Virtual Dub, activate the 2:1 resize filter and re-encoded the files to either divX3.11lm or 4.12, using max bitrate. The new files aren't much smaller than the original ones but even weak CPUs can deal with them. (I do not do this anymore because i now have a laptop but i used to do this quite often)

Comment

Working...