X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dai
    • Sep 2002

Can't install Divx 311Alpha

When I try to install it, it causes an invalid page fault in KERNEL32.DLL

Now, one reason i want to try to reinstall this is that I had to install 4 to try to get an anime to play that i had dl'd. That seemed to have caused PowerDVD to stop working, which I use for SVCD's.

In other words, I'me having some serious video problems that I need some help with...

Dai
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Try installing the codec from a codec pack, such as Tsunami.

You might want to use FFDShow as an alternative decoder (which I personally find better than DivX 3.11's decoder). You may also want to use the reliable WMP 6.4 (Run the command 'mplayer2.exe' from under the Run command).

Comment

• digitaldick
      • Feb 2003

more about that.....

Hey Dai- did you get your video problem fixed? I'm wondering whether you tried the suggestion by Enchanter to install the FFDShow as an "alternate decoder"? Not sure what that means but then I'm not sure what you meant by "had to install 4" either?
      Hope you will post back with some followup! Thanks.
      be humble....be wise!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

..."alternate decoder"? Not sure what that means...
        DivX 3.11 contents can be decoded using a number of other decoders, besides its own. AFAIK, DivX 5.x as well as FFDShow are capable of the task. Of the two, I would give FFDShow the thumbs up (it does not smoothen the video like DivX 5.x does and comes with a large number of options, more than anyone care to name).

Comment

• Dai
          • Sep 2002

Well, I just installed ffdshow and I'm still getting the "Video not available, cannot find 'vids:divx' decompressor." when trying to test an avi.

I tried to install 311 alpha again and get the same error.

<edit: I just installed Divx 5.03 and it works, so I guess things are better. Also running Adaware to find what spyware is installed.>

Dai
          Last edited by Dai; 3 Mar 2003, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Make sure you have set FFDShow to play DivX 3.11 contents. You can do so from its Configuration settings.

Comment

• Dai
              • Sep 2002

LOL, I get this error when trying to access configuration:

Error loading ffdshow.ax.

How the hell do I get an error like this after freshly intalling ffdshow? Oh well, I installed Divx5.03 and it seems to be working. In fact, I edited the above post to say so but it didn't show up for some reason.

Dai

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Whatever works for you.

Comment

Working...