Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moondust
    • Mar 2003

Playback of ripped DVDs

I'm somewhat new if the field of DVD-ripping, and I would like to know if there's a proper way to play a backed up DVD from your harddisk. I have already tried the subst-method and it doesn't seem to work (I have a Win XP home-system). I do have Intervideo WinDVD (that came with my Compaq) and DVDSubber, but they only seem to play the selected vob-files, and I would like to find a way to playback the entire movie, like if it still were on de disk, with the main menu. To backup the DVD i've used Smartripper and just selected all files, so that should be in order, I suppose. Does anybody have an idea please (e.g. a freeware program)? Thanks.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I don't use WinDVD so I can't offer a definite answer. However, I do use PowerDVD and I can use it to playback ripped DVD contents from the harddisk. All I need to is simply use it to open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file and the movie will start playing like it would when played back from DVD. Try doing the same with WinDVD.

Comment

• Moondust
      • Mar 2003

Indeed, PowerDVD does the trick! No, it didn't work with WinDVD, it only seem to play each seperate vob file, but not the entire movie, nor the menu. But thanks, it now works fine with PowerDVD!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

I don't know why the "subst" command doesn't work for you - I've used it successfully for the longest time. Be that as it may, if you place the "Audio_ts" and "Video_ts" folders in the root directory of your primary drive (usually the C:\ drive), WinDVD should automatically recognize it and start to play it as a full DVD...

Comment

• Moondust
            • Mar 2003

Indeed, when I placed the video-ts directory in de root-directory (c:\video_ts), everything worked: the subst command ánd WinDVD automatically started playing the ripped DVD! Thanks, I wasn't aware of the fact that I should have placed the video_ts-directory in the main drive!

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...