• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Changing a file type

I run windows XP and I was wondering how you change a file's file type let say for example (no I don't intend on doing this)

blah.avi to--> blah.m2v

Thanks
    SKD_Tech
  • ShuMO
    • Dec 2002

seems easy... whats the catch

easy enough. select the file then press f2 and type the new name in complete with the extension you wish.

But I cant believe thats what you meant. Once the file type is changed the data wont really fit for use I'd suspect. THere is a rare case I've read about with wav files actually having mp3 data in them, so the changing of the file type is actually appropriate.

However, take for example M$ Word file. If one changes the filetype to say 'txt', the file can then easily be opened in Notepad. But you'll then note that the internal data is not pure text. The same would occur if we change the filetype of an AVI to say a WMV. the Decoder wont recognize the internal data and complain about a corrupted file.
    On the other hand, if we use a tool like AVIInfo, we can change the FourCC and other aspects of the AVI header to 'trick' the DirectShow into handling the AVI with differing Codecs. Clear as mud? thought so.
    ShuMO

Comment

• SKD_Tech
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2003

ok thanks

Comment

• The Edge
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Jan 2003

Maybe file extension is disabled>?
        I believe that's what you mean?

Untick "Tools/Folder Options/View/Hide file extensions for known file types"

Edge
        "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

yes file extention that is what I was wanting to know! I fixed it!!

Comment

Working...