X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simcity
    • Mar 2003

Mpeg

Hi,
    Can you tell me what is MPEG and if DIV-x install it when i install Div-x???

Thanks
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: Mpeg

Originally posted by Simcity
    Hi,
    Can you tell me what is MPEG and if DIV-x install it when i install Div-x???

Thanks
    What exactly are you trying to do? What sort of file have you got there (i.e. what extension)?

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Mpeg is the Motion Picture Experts Group.

There are several different formats, associated with Mpeg, Mpeg-1, mpeg-2 and Mpeg-4. The divx codec is a an implementaion of the mpeg-4 format. But it only works when packed into a filecontainer like avi or ogm.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• digitaldick
        • Feb 2003

more about that.....

Hi Simcity. You asked: < what is MPEG >
        This can get complicated. I understand it this way: The MPEG designation refers to a standard of video and audio compression used by encoders of movie files. The file extension .mpg is the usual "tell-tale" that the file is formatted to this standard and video clips and movies that get shared over the internet are usually formatted to the mpeg-1 standard. Windows Media Player plays this type of file as do many other players. The other standards of MPEG, as noted by khp, are usually not of concern unless you are into DVD or newer technology of multimedia capture and distribution. Remember, I'm keeping this explanation simple, so I can understand it! LOL!

You also ask: < if DIV-x install it when i install Div-x??? >
        IMHO, no!
        Divx is a unique compression tool that is used to encode and decode video. The video can sometimes be the very video that was previously compressed to the MPEG standard. But when you install DIVX you don't install MPEG you install DIVX. When you play a movie encoded using Divx, you can use a Divx Player or the Windows Media Player, but, and here it can get complicated, a movie that has been encoded using DIVX may be encoded to different DIVX standards. And remember, DIVX is actually an MPEG too, although a distant cousin of MPEG-1. To complicate things even more, DIVX does not exist alone! It is just one part of the avi file, the other part being the audio. And the audio part is also compressed by the author of the file using one of several audio compression tools. The package or "container" file that results is the .avi.

But, your question was about MPEG, and it is somewhat comforting, to me anyway, that most computers with a Windows Operating System of 98 or later have what it takes to play .mpg files natively.

Hope this attempt at explanation, however oversimplified, helps you.
        Have a great weekend.

be humble....be wise!

Comment

Working...