X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dqdude
    • Aug 2002

2 questions regarding no sound converting avi to mpg

Here's the deal...

I have an avi file that I am converting using TMPGEnc. The audio is MPEG layer 3. I have no sound when converting to mpg.

Is there a way to fix this other then using Virtual Dub? I have the mpeg layer 3 codecs. I assume the TMPGEnc just doesn't care for mpeg layer 3. Or can I get a fix so TMPGEnc will convert the audio?

Next question...

If I can't work around this issue in TMPGEnc and I have converted the audio to a .wav file with virtual dub. Using TMPGEnc to convert to mpg is not a problem with a file that fits on ONE cd. But...I have to break this into TWO cd's. The 1st 1/2 audio and video matched up fine. The 2nd disk has the 1st 1/2 audio with the 2nd 1/2 video!

How do I fix this???
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

extract the audio

Then in virtualdub set it up for wav audio and combine them and try that

Comment

• dqdude
      • Aug 2002

Do you mean that I should load the avi file, dub it and save it as an avi file?

No wav file is necessary this way...right?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I assume the TMPGEnc just doesn't care for mpeg layer 3."

TMPGEnc has no problem handling Constant Bitrate (CBR) .MP3 audio, but is unable to process Variable Bitrate (VBR) .MP3 audio. It would appear that your video contains a VBR stream. Therefore, use the following procedures:

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio

Simply use NanDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
        Load your original .AVI into NanDub
        Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"
        Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
        From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" - and choose "<No compression(PCM)>"
        From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
        Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
        Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).

Then close NanDub and restart it
        Set "Audio" to "No audio"
        Load your silent .AVI
        Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
        Under "Audio" click on "WAV Audio" and load your .WAV
        Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
        From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" and choose the appropriate .MP3 settings. Click on "OK"
        From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and save your file with a new filename.

Comment

• datasegment
          • Mar 2003

Thankyou!!!

Thanks setarip. That's something that's been driving me absolutely *insane* for the last week or so.. I've tried sooo many different codec combinations I was starting to foam at the mouth!

I didn't realise TMPGEnc doesn't support VBR..

D.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks setarip."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• datasegment
              • Mar 2003

Aw damn...

I spoke too soon.. Although the first file I converted using this method worked fine, the rest of them don't! NanDub saves a tiny silent .wav file out for them. Any more ideas?

Comment

• datasegment
                • Mar 2003

...hang on a minute...

I just had a 'fiddle' with the settings in TMPEG and one of the movies I've had loads of problems with worked first time..
                I basically went to the options->Environmental Settings->VFAPI menu and put "DirectShow Multimedia file reader" first...
                When I put the file through G-Spot, it reports the audio as follows:
                142 kb/s (71/ch x 2 ch) VBR

So I'm guessing that the DirectShow plugin is doing some of the work for TMPGEnc? ie, passing it an audio format that it can handle?

fyi:- I'm running with (from clean) the Tsunami-filter pack (out-of-the-box settings, nice!) and TMPGEnc 2.510.49.157.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Increasing the priority of the Direct Show Multimedia Reader typically improves TMPGEnc's ability to accept .AC3-format audiostreams for processing...

Comment

Working...