Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netfusion80
    • Oct 2002

I want to use a TV as monitor

Hey everyone. I am going to be getting a new desktop soon, and I figured instead of getting a monitor, why not use the money on more system parts, and use the tv-out option on the video card? My only worry is the quality of the picture. So I turn to you all to help me out.
    The main thing I've been hearing is that text will not come out very clear and colors will not be precise on the tv. I Is there a way of fixing this problem? I will be buying a GeForce 4 MMX AGP 8x with TV Out, which I have also read has a "anti-piracy" feature that will not allow the playback of Divx files, and the like. It sounds to me like the ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 128 doesn't have this problem, but will I lose some more quality features on the text and colors? I thought it would be an easy way of saving money, but it is becoming a little more strenuous. Can some of you give me some suggestions as to how to overcome these obstacles? Which video card should I get? Does it make a difference right now? Should I just really stick with a VGA monitor? Thanks! (sorry message is so long)
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: I want to use a TV as monitor

Originally posted by netfusion80
    The main thing I've been hearing is that text will not come out very clear and colors will not be precise on the tv. I Is there a way of fixing this problem?
    True and I'm not aware of any TV sets that will overcome this (TVs are not the high-resolution devices that computer monitors were designed to be). Decent quality monitors don't cost much and your eyes will thank you for not letting them suffer from the glare, flicker and low-detail display of TVs.

Comment

• McMillan
      • Feb 2003

If you say that you'll get a new desktop, why don't you use your current monitor for the pc tasks, and tv out for watching movies?
      ...this MIGHT not be the best picture that I have...

Comment

• turksvy
        • Apr 2003

The only TV that will give you acceptable text on screen is a HDTV
        (high definition)...BUT...you can much rather spend that money on a decent big PC monitor because HDTV's are expensive and not worth it

Comment

• Glanz
          • Aug 2002

Just get a projector, lol. i like the sugguestion to just watch movies on a tv whenever I try to use a tv any time other than watching movies the text is hard to read and some other things. Besides that its not bad. What is this im hearing about an anti-piracy video card?

Comment

• Glanz
            • Aug 2002

Sorry, I will proof read my post next time.

Comment

• borg2

turksvy otherthen HDTv , there are TV's that have vga input, and oh yeah they will solve the problem once n for all,
              bythe way iv ordered one brand is LG's

Comment

• HoneyRyder
                • May 2003

One problem with your vga input tv is its probably going to cost you an arm and a leg.
                I am using a toshiba pure flat screen, and when i hook up my pc to it, its hard enough to read the DivX file i am opening when i watch movies. I have used a lcd projector in my room as well (50 inch screen on my wall) and that was easy to read stuff on, but that option will also be costly.
                Over all, i have wrote too much and will shut up and recomend buying a regular monitor, and only use the tv out for your movies.
                Go Sens!!!

Comment

Working...