Help Confirm - does incomplete AVI mean no sound when played?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magpie09
    • Mar 2003

Help Confirm - does incomplete AVI mean no sound when played?

I have a DivX 2.0 Player but so far none of my AVI files are complete, therefore whenever I play them there's no sound, but the picture is fine. The reason for no sound is because "I may need a new codec, as the player doesn't recognize my audio data" according to DivX 2.0.

However, isn't there no sound because the AVI simply hasn't downloaded 100%?

I hope someone can confirm this to me.
    Last edited by magpie09; 30 Mar 2003, 08:47 AM.
  • moridon77
    • Mar 2003

now i am no expert like some of these guys but i am very intereswted in divx and have done a little work with it myself. and i have had this problem before i have found and this may not work for you but try and diferent player i have found that the divx codec is beautifull but the player sucks. i recomend the realone player, windows media player 9 , and even many other players but not the divx player. this may not help you but give it a try. and if you do need an additional codec you have about 2 hours left of me online and i can send you almost any codec you need and the guys who write for this place can certainly direct you to any codec to.

Comment

• magpie09
      • Mar 2003

Firstly, I had RealOne Player but that didn't play AVI's. If you know how to make it do so though that would be welcome.

Anyway u know that GSpot program? I loaded one of the Incomplete AVI files into that and under Audio Format it says

"GSpot has found that the 'MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder' audio codec will decomopress this audio format. DirectShow was UNABLE to render the movie however, see details for more info."

Try and make something out of that if you can but if you know what the problem is and what codec I need that would also be very welcome.

Cheers.

Comment

• moridon77
        • Mar 2003

i have the brandnew realone player and i use it as my default player as it plays so many types of files. it plays avi's very well i use it daily. and you increase the realone players capabilities the same way you do the others install more codecs. but it comes defaulted with that ability

Comment

• magpie09
          • Mar 2003

I had RealOne Player too, but I didn't play AVIs . I must be to do with codecs, could you tell me what codec you have?

Comment

• moridon77
            • Mar 2003

i have almost every codec that i know exsists but the real player comes defaulted to play avi's though this thought ocurred to me what version of realone player do you have the one thats free or the one you have to pay for as i paid for mine and got the program in the mail. i am one of thos eguys who would rather pay for the full version that have half of it for free

Comment

• magpie09
              • Mar 2003

Ah well, I had the free one. Anyway, could you make anything out of that message from GSpot in my earlier post? Maybe I need a 'Layer-3' codec?

Comment

• moridon77
                • Mar 2003

better ask some one like sdk- tech or someone i dont know about that program i tried it and didnt like it, so i dont use it. in the rare case when i come across something that wont play i simply try it on my lap top with each codec i know of untill it does. i was very antiimpressed with gspot. sorry i couldnt help you

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Re: Help Confirm - does incomplete AVI mean no sound when played?

Originally posted by magpie09
                  I have a DivX 2.0 Player but so far none of my AVI files are complete, therefore whenever I play them there's no sound, but the picture is fine. The reason for no sound is because "I may need a new codec, as the player doesn't recognize my audio data" according to DivX 2.0.

However, isn't there no sound because the AVI simply hasn't downloaded 100%?

I hope someone can confirm this to me.
                  1. Load up the AVI file into GSpot and post a screenshot of the information displayed here.

Alternatively:
                  1. Open the file in Virtualdub
                  2. Go to File -> File Information
                  3. Post what information you see here

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by magpie09
                    Ah well, I had the free one. Anyway, could you make anything out of that message from GSpot in my earlier post? Maybe I need a 'Layer-3' codec?
                    No it said it could decompress the file so your MP3 codec is fine

Comment

Working...