• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Edge
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jan 2003

Firewalls set to become Illegal

Play free online games and win real prizes at Gembly! All your favorite solitaire games, card games, dice games against real players. Play and win!

WTF?
    Firewalls set to become illegal in many American states
    the various states bills all require the banning the use of any technology that conceals "the existence or place of origin or destination of any communication."
    That's mad. If you don't know what a firewall is, shame on you Read here.

Edge
    "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"
  • LinksReviewed
    • Apr 2003

Something tells me Big Brother is watching........
    or will be when firewalls are made illegal, to be honest I can't see how they can possibly do that as everyone has a right to some sort of privacy including browsing the internet.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2003

Well I would like them to try and get rid of my Westell modem with built in firewall I payed 150 for that baby.

They have no right to take away firewalls. What are they going to do about hacking? They would be screwed.

Comment

• igotid24
        • Jan 2003

i highly doubt that bill will get passed. not only does is outlaw software firewalls which is what most people think of, but also almost every router will become illegal to use seeing how they have built in firewalls, and i'd be willing to bet that every person that is voting on this would be negatively affected if they could not have their internet privacy and security.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by igotid24
          i highly doubt that bill will get passed. not only does is outlaw software firewalls which is what most people think of, but also almost every router will become illegal to use seeing how they have built in firewalls, and i'd be willing to bet that every person that is voting on this would be negatively affected if they could not have their internet privacy and security.
          EXACTLY

The government and it's people that vote yes would be hurting themselves and maybe even online banking and such that people can steal money

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

I would tell them to go on dreaming.

They should pass that law only and ONLY if they can assure us that we are secure from hackers and the like without our firewalls.

Comment

• The Maynard
              • Jan 2003

This would be like passing a law making it illegal to have security guards at the airports and locks on our front doors.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2003

This law is rediculous I wonder who came up with it I would (smash their head) lol

Comment

• bri313131
                  • Apr 2003

I live in the UK, but what you get over there we might get here.......

anyway if it's going to be illegal to have a firewall....... would that mean Windows is illegal because it has a built in firewall?

Could this be another way to get Bill G****

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

Yes basically it would outlaw Windows XP but I would guess they would make a service pack that would take that feature out of the system

Comment

Working...