Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Babo911
    • Apr 2003

Dual Athlon for video editing

I want to get a Tyan Tiger MP (S2460) AMD-760 MP Dual Athlon SktA DDR ATX Server Board, with a XP 1800+ and about 512 megs of ECC DDR ram (If you think i should have more please tell me) I want to know if this the better way to go for video editing or is it better to get a faster single processing unit. thanx
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Your Ram is sufficent as for the CPU's that ought to be more than enough depending on what you want to do

Comment

• igotid24
      • Jan 2003

the main benefit of having two processors is multi-tasking. where as video editing in itself would not be able to take full advantage of having multiple processors. what i would recomment is one of the new athlon xps that have the 333 mhz bus. something around a 2.5 or 2.7 will be compatable in price to the dual proc system (factoring in the lower cost for the single proc motherboard). the higher bus speed gives a faster connection to the ram which is accessed constantly during video editing.

as for the amount of ram...if you have the money i would defenitly suggest getting 1 or even 1.5 gigs of ram. if you are editing large files it will work much faster if it can keep more of it in the ram rather that the hard drive which is incredibly slow compared to the ram.

if you do all that i would also suggest getting a motherboard that supports dual channel ram, that way you can take full advantage of the faster and larger amount of ram.

i know it seems like a lot, but if i had the money to build a new computer right now that is what i would do.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

Well right now I run a p4 3.06 with 1024 MB of RAM and I have MORE than enough so yours should be about right besides the dual processor which I agree on the statement just made

Comment

Working...