Help!! 2 GigaBytes of memory not enough !???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maitmk
    • Dec 2001

Help!! 2 GigaBytes of memory not enough !???

hi

can you tell me what's wrong ?

I am trying to encode a 2 hour movie in Adobe Premiere. Every time , premiere starts using more and more memory, until it crashes. System monitor showed that my PC was using 2 Gigabytes of memory ( 256 MB of that was RAM ).
    At the moment of the crash, it only had rendered about 15 % of the whole project. How much virtual memory would it need to complete the entire project - 20 GB, 30 GB ??
    Why does it need so much virtual memory now - it did not need that much before ....

It is also interesting, that i was able to render the same project on the same pc successfully, about a month ago. No memory problems then...

I am using a P3-750 with 256 MB RAM, Adobe Premiere 6.01
    I used divx codecs 3 and 4.12
    The problem occurred in Win98 and also in a fresh win2000 install.

Last edited by maitmk; 9 Jan 2002, 10:05 AM.
  • frag_dog
    • Nov 2001

Sounds like your problem is your page file, or Virtural Memory. Basicly when you don't have enough Phisical Memory in the system Windowz creates a file in your C:\Windows directory and as more memory is used the file gets bigger and bigger. Best way to fix the error your getting is to free up as much HDD space as you can, the larger the files your going to be using the more HDD space you need. Another option would be to cap your Virtural Memory.
    Right-Click "My Comptuer" go to Properties, go to the end tab (not running win9x right now so don't know what its called but its the end one) In there you should find your Virtual Memory settings if your not a complete nunce. Get it about double your phisical memory, so 512 should work.

good luck

Comment

• maitmk
      • Dec 2001

u got me wrong..

no-no, you got me wrong ...

i know what virtual memory is and i have ALREADY set the virtual memory (maximum) to 1 Gbyte and thats also not enough.

WHAT i dont understand is that WHY Premiere suddenly started using so much memory - as i sayd before, i successfully rendered the same project a month ago and there were no memory problems then.

As it seems to me - even 10 GB of virtual memory would not be enough for premiere because during rendering the memory usage increased at horrible speed up tp 2 GB where it just crashed. And it had only finished 15 % of the project by that time.

Comment

• onerose
        • Nov 2001

did you use any transitions (holywood fx) it kills memory

Comment

• maitmk
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by onerose
          did you use any transitions (holywood fx) it kills memory
          Transistions - no. BUT - after some testing I found out that this memory eater was the "Noise reduction - Blur" option. Without it the memory usage during exporting is stable and normal. I wonder if this is a bug ? I could not find a link in Adobe's web where to submit this.

Comment

• onerose
            • Nov 2001

hmmm i'll have to try to see if it does it to me, i'll get back to you in a couple of days(weekend)cya

Comment

Working...