Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COUNTERPOINT
    • Apr 2003

MEDIA PLAYER WON'T READ .VOBs

I'm having lots of fun figuring out how to rip DVDs. Kinda getting the hang of it, this site is a great resource.

I had this problem yesterday: I'm using FlasK Encoder to transfer my .vob files to DivX. Been converting the same file several times over just to get the settings right, figure out what works. Somewhere along the line, Windows Media Player 9 stopped playing back .vob files! I'm getting the following error message:

"The specified path does not point to a valid DVD disc."

It's a little odd because this was working just fine until now and I didn't change any settings that I know of. Media Player 9 won't even let me drag .vob files onto the play list.

I'm not having any trouble playing back other types of files (MPEG, DIVX), just .vob. How do I get it to work the way it used to again?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Try reinstalling your DVD player software . . .

Comment

• COUNTERPOINT
      • Apr 2003

My DVD player software, like the drivers that run my DVD drive? Or are you talking about my DVD playback software?

PowerDVD and WinDVD read the .VOBs just fine, but Media Player 9 won't.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Been converting the same file several times over"

Perhaps you've inadvertently corrupted this/thes file(s)

Reboot

Try with a different DVD or .VOB

Comment

• COUNTERPOINT
          • Apr 2003

No, that's not it either.. files off a DVD play back just fine. I only worked on one VOB on my HDD, it is one of a dozen I've copied onto my drive, but none of the others will play back on Media Player either.

I don't think it's the files, I think that Media Player has been corrupted somehow.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Try playing the file with another player, such as WMP 6.4 or BSPlayer.

Comment

• COUNTERPOINT
              • Apr 2003

I'm not having any trouble running the files under other players. My VOB files work fine under PowerDVD. I was just looking for help restoring Media Player back to it's original configuration and also wondering if anyone on here could identify the problem so that it doesn't occur again. I was looking for a fix more than a workaround.

Comment

• shabbir
                • Nov 2003

Playing .vob files

I want to play .vob files in browser by using media player 9. Please help me on this context.

Comment

• sfheath
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Sep 2003

Counterpoint, try going into Windows Setup and uninstalling and reinstalling Media Player?
                  Shabbir, right-click on a .vob in browser, select 'open with', tick the 'always open with' box and click on Media Player from the list. This should set up a file association.
                  Good luck
                  This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• shabbir
                    • Nov 2003

VOB files

Thanks sfheath for replying of my problem. Now I will told you my problem in detail. In media player 6.4, it is playing VOB files for windows 2000. But I want to play .VOB files in media player 9 latest. Any idea about this. In mdeia player 6.4, when i used codic that is (http://www.digital-digest.net/downlo...ilters_104.zip), then it is working fine. But it is not working for media player 9. Any idea about this.

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                      • Nov 2003

You said : "The specified path does not point to a valid DVD disc."

That's exactly what would happen if you tried to copy a .vob file to your hard drive and play it from there. Besides, I don't understand where windows media player comes in at all. I thought you were converting vob's from the dvd to divx. The whole point in doing that is so you CAN reduce file size and play back a copy of your dvd from your HD without the DVD.

I think I know what's going on here. You think those vob files on your hard drive will play back but they wont. That's only part of the process. WMP never did play those vob files located on your hard drive, but it does play dvd's with the proper decoder. If the dvd is in the drive and you access a vob on your hard drive, you are playing the dvd, not a copied vob file. Take the DVD out, and the vob on your HD will no longer play.

Why don't you try Super DVD Ripper or DVDx. It will make a perfect Divx AVI from your dvd in one click. You only have to point it to the right title on the DVD and let it go overnight (speed depends on your PC)to end up with a divx AVI file on your drive. You CAN play back the avi without the dvd. It takes alot of time make a divx AVI from DVD, even with a fast PC.

This is not a commercial. I tried the above program(s) and it worked without all the complicated steps. simple as that. You can't play VOB files directly without the rest of the dvd! I wish it were that simple. WMP just plays the DVD when you open a VOB on the PC, even if the vob you try to play is actually on the hard drive, it needs the dvd in your rom to play it back.
                      Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 25 Jan 2004, 05:51 PM.
                      My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

Working...