X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elencool
    • Apr 2003

[1]Audio codec installed...how to listen + different tricky stuff

Hi
    I have done what said in the (would say) faq of this forum.
    ACtually before I'have tried nimo version 5 and almost freezed my pc running XP on atlon1600+ 256MB RAM. I remebered that it didn't gave any problem previously, but maybe I have done something incorrect. this is just for the records.

The problem is. I had a lot of codec installed manually, and still, some of the divx I have do not play audio at a decent level. I can hear there is an audio, but at maximum volume everywhere (volume console, player and speakers) there is now way to listen a certain type of audio (example clear audio on the narrower, ****ty on actors in Goddfellas).

I have checked them with Gspot and it told me the video codec was not installed whilst the audio one yes. for all of the divx with this problem.

so I tried tsunami, because the video codec that was missing was the divx3...amazing since I've been using divx since a long time and I also presumed that the 5.02 and 5.03 were installing old versions....and because the alpha3.11 give a warning message when installing on XP and didn't want to risk.

Nothing is solved. Now Gspot says that both video and audio codecs are installed, but the problem is still there. no audio.

[1]Is it possible to edit easely a movie and artificially increase audio?
    When giving a try to Nimo, there was a nice audio tool that made me possible to do this...unfortunately it freezed every new divx 5.0+ I have, have no idea why.

Now other tricky questions.
    It is amazing the fact that some Friends episodes encoded years ago with divx3 play extremely well into WMP 6.4 and they do not display any single frame in the new one, the supercool installed in XP. WHY??? only twelve or fourteen over more than one hundred episodes.
    Gspot of course tells me that I do have the codecs installed...and so?
    And finally why sometimes some movies still get not sinchronized in audio and video after one hour of playing and slow all the computer down, also if the codecs are installed, on a pc that is supposed to work fine, but that also th antivirus (Pc Cillin) get mad while watching movies and I swear I never told him to scan for avis?

thanx a lot,
    I know they are tricky and boring questions, but I really have no clue now on what to do.
    have a nice day
    elencool
  • elencool
    • Apr 2003

__
    P.S.
    of course I intended to say how to increase the audio without processing it with virtual dub...I mean.. I saw this tool that is able to do it artificially while playing....but I can't find it singularly...any help?
    sorry for any misunderstaniding

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

For playing the video, I would suggest using FFDShow and configuring it to play DivX3, DivX4, DivX5 and XviD contents. Most of the time, FFDShow will work perfectly well.

As for the audio, there can be a number of different compressors for it. Low volume audio is often synonimous with AC3 soundtrack and can usually be easily solved by installing an AC3 filter that does volume amplification on the fly (I'm not familiar with the various AC3 filters available though, so perhaps other users can chime in?).

If the audio happens to be in MP3 (or something else that Virtualdub recognises), you can simply set the Audio tab to Full Processing Mode and select a value higher than 100% in the Volume setting. Don't forget to go to Compression, select an audio compressor and an appropriate bitrate. After that, set the Video tab to Direct Stream Copy and save the file (File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file).

Comment

• elencool
        • Apr 2003

thx Enchanter
        I'll give all your suggestion a try
        I'm sure they are going to work
        ciao
        elencool

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Good luck to you.

Comment

• elencool
            • Apr 2003

just to keep going with the discussion, since it might help someone else one day:
            it doesn't seems that the AC3 stuff solved too much...the best way was finally to edit with virtual dub and increase the volume (900% to hear it... )

one other question still bothers me....
            why wmp6.4 is able to play some divx that the wmp of XP does not, even though the codec is installed and Gspot tells it too?
            but maybe I will ook around or post it somewhere else
            ciao
            elencool

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

900% to hear it...
              That's some serious amount of amplification!

why wmp6.4 is able to play some divx that the wmp of XP does not, even though the codec is installed and Gspot tells it too?
              No specific answer here, but that is one of the reasons why WMP 6.4 (along with BSPlayer and a number of other players) is preferred to its bloated younger brothers.

Anyway, good to see that things are working out for you.

Comment

Working...