Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bet_gurlz
    • Apr 2003

DVD Region Killer

If I use DVD Region Killer, are there many possibilities that it will harm my DVD rom? Will it work for every type of DVD rom, or only for some? Does it modify our hardware or software? Thank you.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

If I use DVD Region Killer, are there many possibilities that it will harm my DVD rom?
    If you flash it with the wrong ROM or the system is turned off while flashing, you can be assured you will end up with a dead drive.

Will it work for every type of DVD rom, or only for some?
    Where a region-free ROM file is available for a specific drive, that drive is "region-freeable."

Does it modify our hardware or software?
    Hardware.

Comment

• joegib
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Dec 2001

I think Enchanter mis-read your question.

Region Killer is a utility that overcomes region protection in your software player (WinDVD, Power DVD etc). Using it won't harm your DVD or drive but it almost certainly won't work unless you first flash your drive with region-free patched firmware.

Region Killer only acts on your software and does nothing to your hardware. It's worked for all the DVDs I've thrown at it on my set-up.

Comment

• bet_gurlz
        • Apr 2003

If I flash my drive with region free firmware, will it harm my drive? Because I read somewhere that we need a very advanced user to do that. And are all kinds of drives region freeable?

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by bet_gurlz
          If I flash my drive with region free firmware, will it harm my drive? Because I read somewhere that we need a very advanced user to do that. And are all kinds of drives region freeable?
          My previous answers apply to these questions as well . . .

Comment

• Glanz
            • Aug 2002

what about if you just want to encode the dvd to divx and not play the dvd on your computer will you still have to use reigon killer

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Glanz
              what about if you just want to encode the dvd to divx and not play the dvd on your computer will you still have to use reigon killer
              You should not need to though if your ripper is having difficulty ripping it (because the disc needs to be authenticated, meaning opened and played on a DVD player software), you will likely need it.

DVDDecryptor might be able to bypass this limitation, though I cannot say for sure since I do not use that ripper. PM Lightning UK, the creator of the said ripper, and he will happily answer you.

Comment

• Glanz
                • Aug 2002

ok thanks

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...