• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comberman
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Aug 2002

Weird Capture Phenomenon

I need a couple of stills from "X Files the Movie" and in capturing a few seconds from the VHS tape (PAL)' I have encountered a real weirdo. The video/audio plays fine during capture but when I play back the captured clip there is a broad, white band (horizonally) in the clip (Audio is okay). This is the first time I have encountered this phenomenon and it's puzzling to say the least. The only difference between this and any other tape I have used is that was mastered in THX. I have tried capturing it raw (uncompressed); Intel 5; Mpeg 1&2, Mpeg4 and DivX but the output result is always the same. At first I though my capture drivers had gone belly up but I tested them using other tapes and everything works out fine. Anyone come across this 'white banding' before or tried to capture from THX mastered tapes?
    Genius creates what it must; talent creates what it can.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You are undoubtedly seeing the effects of Macrovision...

Comment

• Comberman
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Aug 2002

Macrovision, um - ain't that a swear-word. Well, I'll just have to find a way around it, won't I. I was capturing from S-VHS, I shall try composite. Failing that - I'll make a copy of the damn thing and try to capture from the copy. Can't let lil' ol' Macrovision beat me - can I. If that doesn't work......well, I'll just wander down to the pub and cry into my Guinness.
      Thanks amigo - and cheers from the Emerald Isle.

Comment

• Comberman
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Aug 2002

Setarip - my friend,
        I've just been reading up on Macrovision....
        I'm off to the pub.
        Cheers

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"I'm off to the pub."

A clear understanding of relative values ;>}

Comment

• iker
            • May 2003

Damn macrovision, I have the same exact problem, I just want to be in contact with you to see If one of us can get rid of it.

According to what I have read, the problem is caused in deed, by macrovision, but the real problem is that nvidia phillips chips seem to consider every recorded media as copyrighted, so every time you capture video, no matter what if it's original or homevideo, It will annoy you with the white horizontal box. I tried a program called tvtool, but didn't work, maybe It can work for you, so try it.

Please email me If you have news.

Iker Rivera.

Comment

• Comberman
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Aug 2002

Methinks I will give the VHS tape capture a miss - I've just remembered I have a copy of 'X-Files the Movie' on DVD. Maybe I'll have more joy with that. If I do find a way around the VHS issue, I'll let you know.
              Take care, Amigo.

Comment

Working...