Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armored Gideon
    • May 2003

Does true DVD quality Divx exist?

Okay I've been messing with divx for a few weeks now after a friend of mine told me it was possible to shrink dvd's to a fraction of their original size and play them on CD's/VCD's with virtually no loss in picture quality.
    My goal is to back up my DVD's to my hard drive and use my PC as a divx player (using tv-out).
    Now, since I don't need to worry about lowering the bitrate to fit a movie onto 2 or 3 CD's, I thought that attaining DVD quality would not be so hard. But I was wrong. I used Flaskmpeg (078_39) to encode 'Alien', a movie containing a lot of dark, atmospheric scenes, only to find that nomatter what bitrate I use (Divx 5.02, Xvid, etc.) 2000, 4000, 8000, and finally, 10000, the movie still looks crap. The Dark parts of the picture come out blocky and often have a nasty dark-green hue, and any scene showing smoke or steam looks really bad/wierd too.
    So my question is: is it possible to get DVD quality out of Divx (or any other compression method?

PS Please don't redirect me to a newbie tutorial or FAQ page unless you think it will help with the above problem. As I have read a LOT of them. Just tell me what you think.
    Thanks
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: Does true DVD quality Divx exist?

Originally posted by Armored Gideon
    Okay I've been messing with divx for a few weeks now after a friend of mine told me it was possible to shrink dvd's to a fraction of their original size and play them on CD's/VCD's with virtually no loss in picture quality.
    My goal is to back up my DVD's to my hard drive and use my PC as a divx player (using tv-out).
    Now, since I don't need to worry about lowering the bitrate to fit a movie onto 2 or 3 CD's, I thought that attaining DVD quality would not be so hard. But I was wrong. I used Flaskmpeg (078_39) to encode 'Alien', a movie containing a lot of dark, atmospheric scenes, only to find that nomatter what bitrate I use (Divx 5.02, Xvid, etc.) 2000, 4000, 8000, and finally, 10000, the movie still looks crap. The Dark parts of the picture come out blocky and often have a nasty dark-green hue, and any scene showing smoke or steam looks really bad/wierd too.
    So my question is: is it possible to get DVD quality out of Divx (or any other compression method?

PS Please don't redirect me to a newbie tutorial or FAQ page unless you think it will help with the above problem. As I have read a LOT of them. Just tell me what you think.
    Thanks
    Flask is the weak link. Use GordianKnot or DVX instead if you are looking at attaining better and real quality.

As for smoke and steam looking weird, I believe that is an effect of QPel. Disable it.

Comment

• wise1080
      • Jan 2003

flaskmpeg is definately not the way to go if you want dvd qaulity divx. You should use either GordianKnot or try this guide, its really easy to use and you get excellent results

The Guide

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Sound quality of WMV is better
        Care to explain to me (and the majority of other readers as well) as to what a video codec, like Windows Media Video (WMV), has to do with audio?

Picture quality is better than divx too!
        Strange to see why no one else has mentioned it. Can you elaborate further on this? On which areas does the WMV codec outperform the competing MPEG-4 compression formats? I am curious.

Comment

• Deus
          • Nov 2001

The only way to get absolutly flawless true dvd quality os to drop the compression. Because compressing causes quality loss.

Comment

• gregdius
            • Oct 2002

Unless you can mux WMV + AC3.... Divx will be better quality audio. Because you can have 5.1 DD surround sound with a divx file. Dunno if you can with a WMV. And from what ive seen WMV isn't that great anyway.

Comment

Working...