Extracting from WMV9 with digital rights

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ripking

Extracting from WMV9 with digital rights

I downloaded from this "video on demand" system, and basically you end up with a wmv file on your drive, when you view the file you get asked for the licence information, which i paid for, so you can watch the video.

Now I have the video I paid for, but I can't find any programs that will extract from the wmv file, they all say its not valid, so i cant put it on a dvd and i have to watch it on my pc all the time.

Does any one know how i can convert the file to mpg?

Thanks
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Does any one know how i can convert the file to mpg?"

If you are looking for a way to circumvent the limitations intentionally created by the digit rights license, I'd suggest that you seek out a different type of forum (warez, crackz, and other means of circumventing commercial software/media protection/limitations are not discussed here)...

Comment

• Ripking

Seeing as I paid for the licence I should be able to do what ever i want with the thing i paid the licence for. If I go and buy a CD and then copy songs on to my MD there aint nothing wrong with that, so there is no difference here. If I have paid for the licence then im not breaking any rules if i want to put it on a dvd. If I were to make a million copies and sell them then fair enough, but have i said that is what im going to do? No, so don't go jumping to conclusions.

your forum is **** anyway

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

I hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't my forum. I'm just another poster here...

However, I'll reiterate my first response - The license you paid for obviously is limited to playback on your PC and doesn't "give you the right to do whatever you want" with it...

Comment

• Ripking

well thats where your wrong and thats the problem with DRM, when you pay for something, your basic consumer rights allow you permission to do what you like with it as long as its for your own personal use, because you own it. DRM takes away these rights. I can do what ever I want with it, but DRM is stopping me.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

You apparently don't (or refuse to) understand the concept of a specifically limited license.

"well thats where your wrong"

If you say so...

EOF

Comment

• Ripking

"The licence isn't limited, but because the video is in WMV9 DRM format, I can't find a video editing/extracting program that recognise it, I am allowed to do what I like with the video, but because of the format I am unable to do much with it"

"Does that make more sense"

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Ripking
                Seeing as I paid for the licence I should be able to do what ever i want with the thing i paid the licence for. If I go and buy a CD and then copy songs on to my MD there aint nothing wrong with that, so there is no difference here. If I have paid for the licence then im not breaking any rules if i want to put it on a dvd. If I were to make a million copies and sell them then fair enough, but have i said that is what im going to do? No, so don't go jumping to conclusions.

your forum is **** anyway
                If this forum is **** why are you posting here?

Comment

• Ripking

just letting you know so you can shut it down

Comment

• dodger1982
                    • Apr 2003

I am not lawyer but as far as I understand from the Coppyright act. Making a backup copy of any legitimately purchased copyright material is prohibited.

In section 30,

"The copying of a [copyrighted] work is a restricted act in relation to every description of copyright work."

However it doesn't appear to be a criminal act,

In section 198, "Criminal Liability...", clause 3 states

"Every person commits an offence against this section who, otherwise than for that person's private and domestic use, copies a recording..."

So its seems that they would be allowed to take civil but not criminal action.

Hope this helps explain why you are unable to convert it easily.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Ripking
                      just letting you know so you can shut it down
                      Just to tell ya don't expect that anytime soon and I still don't know why you are posting on a "****" forum. Why don't you go elsewhere if you don't like our forum because we have rules. You think we are strict you would've already been banned at Doom9 or anywhere else.

Comment

Working...