Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • _id_
    • Dec 2002

Windows XP don't enable DMA mode for HD and CD-ROMs

I have instaled the Windows XP in my pc, but he don't force DMA for HD and CD-ROMs. My HD is a Seagate one whitch suport Ultra-DMA 66, the same for my CD-ROM reader and my DVD-ROM reader. The options in the BIOS for this stuf are eneble and the options for recognize in the windows are up to, but he insist to use PIO 4 mode. How can I solve this problem? Do you can help me?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Check that the IDE cables are properly connected and not cross-talking with each others. I had one such problem before and correcting as the above solved the problem.

Cheers.

Comment

• igotid24
      • Jan 2003

you also have to make sure you are using the right kind of cables...they have to have 80 wires, as opposed to the older style that only had 40.

if you did what enchanter said, and have the right cables try the reg hack found here: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/781/

Comment

• Comberman
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Aug 2002

WinXP will usually categorise HDs and CD/DVD drives as UDMA or DMA by default, unlike Win95/98 where this is usually done manually in the Device Manager. The UDMA/DMA is not controlled against each drive in XP, but against the IDE/ATAPI Controllers. You can check/update your DMA in XP viz:
        Select Control Panel
        Select System
        Select Device Manager
        Double click IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - you will see each drive listed. Double click each device.
        Select Advanced Settings.
        Each of your drives should be set to DMA if available. The page will also show the UDMA settings against Master/Slave. If you have M/S setup.
        If your settings are not as stated above and you have checked cabling/connections and the Master/Slave settings on each drive, then try the maker/vendor sites for updated drivers/firmware.
        If that doesn't work, then you may have a faulty controller.
        Genius creates what it must; talent creates what it can.

Comment

• _id_
          • Dec 2002

I already do that you show above before I post this, and he don't eneble dma mode for anyone. In Windows ME (that I use before) he doens't eneble automaticale this option, I have to turn it on by myself, but there they functonaly properly, and the cables are properly plugged in HD and CD-rom devices. I will see if I find the driver in the internet to solve this problem. Those drives for win ME don's install in my computer (I don't know why). I dolbt that work in XP but cust nothing to try. If anyone knows another way, please tell me. my hd is working at 2,5mb/s when he can 10mb/s in dma mode. Thanks and sorry by my English, I not speak very well hehe

Comment

Working...