Playing .mov in a DIFFERENT player than QuickTime?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Juggalo
    • Apr 2003

Playing .mov in a DIFFERENT player than QuickTime?

Hi,

Is there any way I can play quicktime (.mov) movies in a NORMAL player, not that dreaded QuickTime player from Apple? Preferably without having to convert every file first

I guess there's not just a normal codec (like divx and xvid and the likes) that allows .mov files to be played in any decent player (for example BSPlayer).

I did found something called "QuickTime Alternative" (on www.kazaalite.tk) which seems to install "QuickTime codecs", and that allowed Media Player Classic to play .mov files, but not the regular Windows Media Player or BSPlayer. Is there any better solution?
  • Comberman
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Aug 2002

The latest version of Windows Media Player will play .mov files.
    Don't select the .mov file for direct playing for it will open with the Quicktime Player.
    Open Media Player
    Select to play a file as usual.
    Go to the Folder which holds the QT movie (s)
    You will not see your .mov files in the folder window and the file associated window when displayed will not show .mov.
    Click on "all files".
    The Quicktime (.mov) files will now show up in you folder window.
    Click Double click on the .mov file.
    A window will appear stating that MP is not associated with .mov.
    Click Play Anyway.
    Now you have a choice of .mov players.
    Cheers!
    Genius creates what it must; talent creates what it can.

Comment

• Juggalo
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Comberman
      The latest version of Windows Media Player will play .mov files.
      Thanks! I guess you refer to WMP 9 here? Although I hate to install it, it's still better than using QuickTime

By the way, is there anything "special" about WMP9 that it plays .mov files, compared to other players? Isn't it possible to play .mov in just any player that supports normal codecs or direct show stuff or whatever? (like BSPlayer or older versions of WMP)

Comment

• Comberman
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Aug 2002

Special? Nothing more special that Microsoft flexing its muscles in preparation for Bill Gates' plan for world-wide domination via the next release of Windows which will go out under another name. By then Media Player will be able to play anything you throw at it. There could be other players out there; Winamp is even getting into the act.
        Genius creates what it must; talent creates what it can.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

MPC (search doom9 forums, certain dll's may be required), possibly MPLAYER (www.mplayerhq.hu) and videlan (www.videolan.org) Can playback select quicktime files.

Comment

Working...