X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trek234
    • May 2003

.AU Format? What codec?

Hi all,

I have several .AU format (audio?) files. I am unable to play them, however, because I don't have the codec needed.

Can anyone tell me what codec is needed to play .AU files?

Or is there some program that can look at them and tell what codec is needed?

Thanks!
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Extension: AU
    Program and/or Extension Function: Music File
    Specific Notes: Usually on Sun or UNIX machines.

Players
    IrfanView
    Linux Player

General Notes:
    Various programs use this extension; too many to list individually. Take clues from the location of the file as a possible pointer to exactly which program is producing the file. The file's date and time can also help if you know which programs you were running when the file was written.

If the extension you are looking for is of the form .??_ the file is likely a compressed file and part of an install routine. When the install program runs it will expand the file and replace the underscore with the proper letter for the file type.
    If the file is sent as an audio file with any three-character extension it may be a dictation file where the extension is the dictator's initials; playable by BCB Voice Systems software (see ??? extension). The file could likewise be a dictation file in TrueSpeech format. Use Windows Sound Recorder and/or Media Player to play these back.
    If the extension you are looking for has a number at the end or is only a number and there were no results consider entering the same extension format using zero or one as some programs produce numbered split files but when the split can be extensive (e.g., .000-.999) only the first entry is in the database.
    [

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Simply double-click on the file, which should automatically start the .AU audio file playing in good ol' Windows Media Player - unless you've changed this association (which was established when Windows was installed on your system)...

Comment

Working...