Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lemmiwinks
    • Jun 2003

MP3 to AC3 is it possible?

Hey i'm a newbie to these forums, but i'm not a newbie to Virtualdub. I used to use it to encode my videos for DCDIVX (for those of you without dreamcasts it was a little program that allowed you to play divx movies on your dreamcast).

So anyway on to my question i just downloaded the
    AC3Filter v0.68 and it fixed a problem with a video I downloaded that said the video was fine but i needed some type of AC3 codec.

Not only did the filter fix my problem but I also hooked it up to my reciever by my tv through an optical cord (much better than my computer speakers) and when i played it the display on my reciever said "DOLBY DIGITAL 2/0" (the 2/0 means stereo). But this is better sound quality than say playing a CD through my computer to the reciever. So I was pretty surprised that I could download a movie encoded with DVD quality stereo (instead of just CD quality like most avi's or mpeg's). But if thats possible than I thought that maybe I could encode my mp3's or rip my CD's into Dolby Digital and boost the sound quality. But all I have been able to find is the opposite "AC3 to MP3" which doesn't help me because i'm NOT trying to Rip my DVD's to my hard drive. And I just downloaded the moded Vdub with the AC3 support but you have to have a video file to do anything with Vdub so that doesnt help me either.

So what i'm trying to ask is does anyone know if there is a way to convert an MP3 into any kind of AC3 format? Because It would be so cool if I could "up convert" my stereo source into Dolby Digital.

I have also TRIED to install a52dec-0.7.4.tar.gz but im to stupid to know how to open or install it (and yes I have tried to do it with stuff it)

Any help would be great. Thanx.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

One way to accomplish this:

First use an audio editing program, such as GoldWave or CoolEdit, to convert the .MP3 to .WAV format. Then use Sonic Foundry's SoftEncode to convert the .WAV to .AC3 format.

Comment

• The Maynard
      • Jan 2003

You can also use the latest version of BeSweet. Select your file from the CD and you can decide between converting it to a .AC3 file or a DD-WAVE file. the DD-WAVE file will be much bigger in size. Either one will do the trick.

Comment

• The Maynard
        • Jan 2003

Have you been successful in getting 5.1 sound from using this filter? I ask this because I haven't yet any luck getting a .AC3 file to provide me with 5.1 sound from my reciever. Has this worked well for you? If so I will have to try this other filter.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

If you are converting from MP3 yes you will get sound out of all speakers but I am pretty sure it wouldn't be true 5.1 Dolby Digital would it?

Comment

• lemmiwinks
            • Jun 2003

OK, first of all thanks for all the help.

Now I did download Be Sweet and the AC3 machine but all i have been able to do is make stereo dolby digital (with really crappy results) and I also read the guide on the AC3 machine and it says that the "5.1" setting wont work unless the input is an AC3 file so that means using an MP3 will only go to stereo.

So has anyone had any luck with this?

And does anyone know of another freeware program that would do this because it seems to me that the $200-something sonic foundry 5.1 surround pack is the only thing that will do it.

Comment

• The Maynard
              • Jan 2003

What are you converting it too in Besweet? .ac3 or dd-wave? If you are converting it to .ac3 then try lowering the bitrate down between 128-256. I've noticed that even with mp3's if the bitrate gets too high it sounds really distorted.

Comment

Working...