X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cantharides
    • Dec 2002

vobsub vs subrip

Hi,

I've created some divx files now, and i've always used subrip to rip subtitles from my dvd's. This way I can create divx files up to 700 MB with .srt subtitle files of aprox 55kB. These files fit well on one CD.
    Recently I've recieved some divx files of 700MB with subtitle files extracted with vobsub. These vobsub files (.idx & .sub extensions) take 6000kB of space. Now it is impossible to burn subs & avi to one cd (total 705MB). Is there anyway to convert these subtitle files created with vobsub too the much smaller subrip (.srt) files. I don't want to overburn cd's, because of incompatibilty with other drives.
    Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Included in the VobSub package is a program named "Subresync.exe". According to the documentation:

"- You can open/save vobsub files also. Since there is no user-interface for multiple languages, you can only edit the currently active.
    v2.09+ update:
    - More output formats, now you can save to srt, sub, smi, ssa."

Comment

• cantharides
      • Dec 2002

Thank you very much for this wonderfull & usefull tip. You've helped me out with this one.
      I've tried this option instantly and tested the result and it worked perfectly (No synchronising problems,no problems at all). This reduced the subtitle format from 14,4 MB (.sub) to 134 KB (.srt).

Why does ayone want to use the .idx and .sub format for anyway since these file size's are so much bigger than the .srt ?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thank you very much for this wonderfull & usefull tip."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...