how does 5.1 sound through stereo speakers?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • telstra111
    • May 2002

how does 5.1 sound through stereo speakers?

I have been doing my own dvd backups and to save space I would like to to chuck some audio. I don't have a 5.1 system at the moment but probably will in the future, so I'd like to keep 5.1 audio. But will it sound significantly worse than dedicated stereo on a stereo Hi-Fi? Thanks.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

On a stereo setup (2.0 or 2.1), a 5.1 sound source will normally be downmixed to stereo. The sound will still sound acceptably good (coming from two speakers), but you will be missing out on the surround effects that a 5.1 setup will deliver.

As to whether you feel the missing surround effect is a major detriment or not is up to you (and your definition of good sound). To me, it does not bother me much. Stereo is fine with me.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Enchanter; 17 Jun 2003, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• tillitea
      • May 2003

"a 5.1 sound source will normally be downmixed to stereo"

So, yes. It will sound just as good.

tillitea

Comment

• telstra111
        • May 2002

re tillitea

that's interesting. If thats the case I wonder why do they bother putting BOTH 5.1 and stereo onto many DVDS?

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by tillitea
          "a 5.1 sound source will normally be downmixed to stereo"

So, yes. It will sound just as good.

tillitea
          It won't sound good to those who LIKE and WANT surround sounds. Stereo folks like us can't care any less though.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by telstra111
            that's interesting. If thats the case I wonder why do they bother putting BOTH 5.1 and stereo onto many DVDS?
            Novelty reason perhaps?

Or maybe they just do not trust in the quality that some software downmixers (that some people might be using) provide.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2003

Even after they have encoded into 5.1 the 3 most heavily used speakers are Center, Front left, and front, right so basicly your just getting a bigger stereo package. But with me I gotta have 7.1 so I can't really say much else.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by SKD_Tech
                Even after they have encoded into 5.1 the 3 most heavily used speakers are Center, Front left, and front, right so basicly your just getting a bigger stereo package.
                The rear speakers will play a major role in delivering the surround effects...

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2003

Yes but for vocal movies such as chick flicks that have basicly no action you might as well just get some cool floor standing speakers and hook them up directly to your TV just for Dolby Surround or equivilent

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

I am sure you watch more than just "chick flicks", so do most other people...

Comment

Working...