• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jenya
    • Jun 2003

adding my own subtitiles?

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I would like to add English subtitles to some Russian movies so that my wife, who is American, could watch them. I tried to research the subject, but got quite confused.

I recorded a movie from the VHS onto a digital camcorder and then captured itit via a firewire into an AVI wtih the help of VideoWave 4 software taht came with the fireware card.

One problem is that 120 Hi8 tape holds only about an hour of digital info. That means that I would have to do the movie in two parts and join them together later.

AVI file gets quite large. I captured about 20 minutes with VideoWave4 and it created a 4Gig file. I have a spare 20G Hard Drive, so the size is not too much of the concern at the moment.

The next immediate problem is that I am not sure how to add my own subtitiles to the movie.

And the last issue I need to resolve is what will I do with the final result. I don't have a DVD burner at the moment. Originally I was thinkign about transfering the subtitiled movie back onto a regular VHS:computer->camcorder->VHS. Again, in two parts. However, I am not discarding a DVD option as well. I saw that there is some Pioneer DVD burner for around $150. I am concerned about the DVD zones though. Currently I live in US, but plan to move to Europe soon.

Also, is there a way to workaround a problem of having to split the movie into two parts due-to a Hi8 length limitation? Is it possible to stream a movie straight from VHS->camcorder->fireware card and other way around?

I appreciate any advice greatly,

Jenya
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Eugene, it sounds like it would be easier to teach your wife Russian ;>}

Dosvedanya

Comment

• ChristianHJW
      matroska project member
      • May 2003

Eugene,

dont listen to setarip and transmux your AVIs into matroska format, VirtualdubMod does this for you and you can also easily add SRT subtitles in your language ... for playback you can then choose if you want to display the subs or not, just download the matroska filterpack from the matroska homepage ...
      Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

Working...