Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justintime6199
    • Jan 2003

movie size way too big

I converted a dvd movie to an mpeg, but when i go into mpeg tools and i try to cut the movie to fit on a cd. Forty min. of the movie is over a gig in size. How can i shrink the movie or what shoud i do?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I converted a dvd movie to an mpeg"

What software/procedures did you use?

Which are you intending to create - VCD or SVCD (for standalone DVD playback on your television), or MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 (for playback on your PC's monitor)?
    Last edited by setarip; 27 Jun 2003, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• MPS
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Mar 2003

why not try converting to avi? MPEGs are bigger than AVIs, and u can get a mbeetter quality in avi. encoding in MPEG2 results in better quality, but bigger size.. if u want to fit on cd, try also resizing resolution to a smaller one...

Comment

• Klooedzs
        • Apr 2002

I agree with MPS, perhaps you better off converting to AVI. But for this, you need divx player really, it won't play in the VCD player. most likely, you have to watch it on your computer...

Have you try TMPGEnc??browse through its settings and lower the bitrate so that you can have smaller size for mpeg. Reduce the bitrate under video menu, if necessary, you can change the audio bitrate as well, or even use variable bitrate for the audio. so, try to adjust the setting to your need, don't just use the recommended conversion menu from the wizard

and MPS, resize only needed in a low bitrate movie, for high bitrate, the higher resolution, the better.. just that it will need a strong computer to play the movie smoothly

for VCD, usually the default resolution is 320*240 or 352*288, for mpeg, it could be anything.

ow, just for the note, if you want to fit the movie into 1 CD from a DVD, do not RE-ENCODE them... it will give **** result. redo the encoding...

Comment

• MPS
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Mar 2003

yup, depends on whether u want to have it for ur computer or make it a vcd for a standalone palya,

and as far as resolution goes, i'm talking drastic measures here 352x288 is smaller in size than i.e. 704x576 and fits cd no problem

Comment

• RNCSerge
            • Jul 2003

Here's what I do. First I copy the DVD to the hard drive. Then I use DVD2AVI to decode the AC3 file into wav and create a project file for the video. Then I input the project file into VFAPI and it makes a dummy avi file. Note that all the files aren't separate files, they link back to the original VOB files, so you get the best possible quality. The only encoding you'll have to do is next. I use Windows Media Encoder 7.1 not only because WMV8 is the best codec I've ever seen, but also because the program allows you to specify a separate video and audio files, which is the case here.
            Overnight, I encoded Crimson Tide 1 hour 55 mins, at 830 k WMV8, and 32k WMA8. The file size came out to be 689 mb, which would fit on a CD. The quality was great, in part because there weren't any other conversions between the original vob and the final wmv. You want to convert a file as little as possible

Comment

Working...