Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtxv0
    • Jun 2003

how do i get this video to let me seek

I downloaded some movies...and it won't let me seek at all..everytime i try seeking it start all over..is there a way i can fix this problem..thank
  • MPS
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Mar 2003

waht codec it uses? what program u use for playback and do u have the right codes installed?

Comment

• Klooedzs
      • Apr 2002

Seek = jump into some later part of the movie?
      that depends on the movie that you download. If you download *.asf, mostly it will do those thing. you can't seek at all, if you do, the player kept starting all over again. This is the only thing that came up on top of my head right now...

Some of the newer *.asf files allow you to seek to later part, but the delay is quite long. Probably took few seconds to show you the part that you want. The delay also depends on the software that you are using. if you use the old windows media player (mplayer2), the lag is crazy. but if you use the newer version, only several seconds lag, sometimes just 2-3 seconds, but again... it did not resolve for the old *.asf files

Sometimes ago, old virtual dub software could handle *.asf extension, thus allow you to convert the format into *.avi, but microsoft find out and since then virtual dub officially can not support *.asf anymore. right now, i don't think any software can encode *.asf, well not that i'm aware of...

you might wanna try using WMP9. maybe they fixed the problem already.

Comment

• Klooedzs
        • Apr 2002

ow, 1 more thing... i just realised, TMPGEnc might be able to handle *.asf, if your's is *.asf file, load them in TMPGEnc and encode them into something else. MPEG, AVI or anything else.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

Also older versions of VirtualDub (i forgot which versions) but they can handle ASF and you can convert it to AVI.

Comment

• MPS
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Mar 2003

Also older versions of VirtualDub (i forgot which versions) but they can handle ASF and you can convert it to AVI.
            versions before 1.3c

Comment

• jtxv0
              • Jun 2003

hmm...thanks alot...but i use WMP9 and its not because its lagging...i think this is the possible reason..the movies says its..about..1h 50 min long but when i sat there and watched it all..it only 45 min long. Could this be why it won't let me seek? if so..is there a way i can fix this. ...yes its a .asf file. thanks

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2003

I would suggest converting it to AVI using VirtualDub....

That is more or less your problem

Comment

• jtxv0
                  • Jun 2003

Thank, i downloaded VD and i can't open the file because..it says..it won't allow 3rd party apps to ..because microsoft prevent extraction of data from there asf file.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

Use a VD 1.3c or before!

Comment

• MPS
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Mar 2003

jtxv0:

1. listen to SKD_tech

the movies says its..about..1h 50 min long but when i sat there and watched it all..it only 45 min long
                      if u get a msg like this what i think is the most probable is taht u downloaded the movie partially, and thats why it lacks the content above 45th minute.
                      if u can, d/l the rest of the file or the whole thing from the beginning, or:
                      SKD_Tech: I would suggest converting it to AVI using VirtualDub....

Comment

• rzr43
                        • Aug 2003

about seeking

for *.asf and *.wmv,if Windows Media Player Version>=7, Must Include index seeking object at the asf file

Using this software, you can make index seeking object for the asf file.

Last edited by rzr43; 18 Aug 2003, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...