Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bojo
    • Mar 2003

VERY ODD audio synch prob???

Can somebody pls explain why the audio in my movie gets out of synch in the middle??? It was perfectly fine at the start then its gets delyed for 1 sec, in the middle.

First I tried use virtual dub to edit the movie, then I got this message.

VitualDub has dedected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI File and will write the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibillity. This may introduce up to 15257 ms of skew from the vidio stream. If this unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV File and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder.

After that I said yes rewrite the header.

then followed this procedure below.....I've done this a couple of times and it was all OK but now I'm worried that if I change the audio/interleave it might screw up the first part....PLS HELP

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio

Simply use VirtualDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
    Load your original .AVI into VirtualDub
    From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
    Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).

Then close VirtualDub and restart it
    Set "Audio" to "No audio"
    Load your silent .AVI
    Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    Under "Audio" click on "WAV Audio" and load your .WAV
    Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
    From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" and choose the appropriate .MP3 settings. Click on "OK"
    From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and save your file with a new filename.

In the audio/interleave you can add/delete a delay for the sound in milliseconds. So, for 1 second delay, use -1000.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I'm worried that if I change the audio/interleave it might screw up the first part....PLS HELP"

1) Load your new (CBR) .AVI into VirtualDub
    2) Set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    3) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection Start"
    4) Move slider to the last frame where the audio is still properly synchroninized
    5) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Go to next keyframe"
    6) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection End'
    7) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" - Save as a new filename (e.g. "Movie1of2.avi").
    8) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection Start"
    9) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Move to End"
    10) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection End"
    11) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" - Save as a new filename (e.g. "Movie2of2.avi").

12) Close and then re-open VirtualDub (Cautionary)

13) Load "Movie2of2.AVI"
    14) Set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    15) In the audio/interleave you can add/delete a delay for the sound in milliseconds. So, for 1 second delay, use -1000.
    16) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" - Save as a new filename (e.g. "RevisedMovie2of2.avi").

17) Close and then re-open VirtualDub (Cautionary)

18) Load the first file ("Movie1of2.AVI") and then, from the "File" dropdown menu selecting "Append .AVI segment" and loading the adjusted second file ("RevisedMovie2of2.avi").

19) Set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copy"

20) Save with a new filename

Comment

• bojo
      • Mar 2003

VERY ODD audio synch prob II??

Hi setarip! thanks for your reply...it was very helpful and most logical thing to do......

I've done steps 1 thru 17...but it is still delayed for about 1/2 second....
      Ive done almost everything, from adjusting the interleave to +1000 ms to +10000 but it doesnt change a bit.....I even tried full processing mode but still same results...1/2 sec delay....I've tried different versions of virtual dub as well....PLS help

bojo

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Ive done almost everything, from adjusting the interleave to +1000 ms to +10000 but it doesnt change a bit."

You are adjusting only the "Audio skew correction" under "Interleaving", aren't you?

If so, there's no way that can not change the synchronization...

Comment

• bojo
          • Mar 2003

"You are adjusting only the "Audio skew correction" under "Interleaving", aren't you? "

Yeah this is all that I do. - adjust the audio skew correction.

So how do I go about it???

thanks again...

Comment

• bojo
            • Mar 2003

can someone pls help....pls read thread above......thanks,,,,,

Comment

• bojo
              • Mar 2003

Hello bojo to earth?????
              Pls help!!
              thread above...

Comment

• lozin
                • Jul 2003

Are or were your avi(s) files split to fit on more than 1 cd?

if so then i had this problem when i was backing up some of my dvds the other day.

if u have the original source and its a dvd then do this

you will need

Smartripper (or equivalent)
                flaskmpeg
                cool edit 2000 or higher
                wavemp3
                virtual dub

*rip the movie vob files from the original dvd to your hdd using smartripper

*load up flask mpeg, and select the vob files u just ripped (flask mpeg will put them all together to give you your full dvd movie)
                Once thats done click run, Extract auto to .wav

*Once that is complete you will have your .wav file on ur hdd

<you don't need your vob files anymore so if you are short of space you can delete them>

*Load up cool edit and open your newly extracted wav file. (this will take some time depending on the length of your film and the speed of ur cpu)

Then once its loaded up, go to save as, save it as .mp3 and select your bitrate (128 is fine but 192 or 256 is always better if you have the space, especially if you making a super high quality mpeg 4 and burning to dvd-r or putting multiple divx on dvd-r)

(this is for stereo sound not ac3)

after that has saved to .mp3 you can delete the original .wav file

*load up wavemp3 and open the newly created .mp3 file in it, it doesn't take long to do.

*now load up virtual dub, and open your film (if the film is split into 2 then open the first avi file, then move to the end of it < ctrl + right arrow >

Then go to file append file, and open up ur second avil file

now you've got ur full file

Save this as a new file (as a precaution and to make everything that little bit smoother)
                You don't have to re save it if its only a 1 file avi

Set video to direct stream copy
                Set audio to direct stream copy, and then click wav and open up your wav you created using wavemp3.

Make sure its all in sync (it should be if its all been done right, if its slightly out then you can use interleeving to sort the problem out)

save this as an avi

You can delete all the other files once you've done that

Right now the best way to re split your file if you need to is this.

Open up your newly created avi file with perfect sound. Now press ctrl + right arrow and make a note of the number of frames.

Run calculator and divide that frame number by 2

In virtual dub click edit - go to and then type in your frame number.

From there on you can use shift + right arrow to find a suitable scene change (or just right / left arrow(s) to make it perfect)

At this point press end or set this to edit, set as selection end.
                Now go the very beginning (ctrl + left arrow). Press home to set the selection beginning or edit, set selection start.

Go to file, then save avi, name it aviname_1.avi

Then once its saved press ] to go to the end of the selection. Press the right arrow once to advance 1 frame. At this frame press home to make a selection start point or using the edit menu. Press ctrl + right arrow to go the very end of the film. Press end or use the edit menu.

Press file, then save and name to aviname_2.avi

After that you're all done, just check the sound and it shud be ok, burn to disk

By lozin

Comment

• ChristianHJW
                  matroska project member
                  • May 2003

... thank god, timestamp based containers usuall dont have this kind of sync probs .... sorry, not very productive i know, but i really couldnt resist .....
                  Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

• BoF
                    • Nov 2001

oh my god! this matroska is fantastic! no more questions about synchronization..
                    [www.scandiumrecords.com][Logan dataspirit]

Comment

Working...