Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonh
    • Jul 2003

which digital bridge?

How does the Canopus digital bridge compare with the Dazzle. This review preferred Canopus.

I need to start capturing analog and want the highest quality bridge I can get at a reasonable price.
    Thanks.
    Jon
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

The Canopus has a good reputation...but I find it interesting they compare it with the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge (which has a buggy reputation) and not the DVC-150. The DVC-150 feeds analog source through the USB2 port at 720X480 resolution (and when you use the DVXCEL Test Utility for capture you can control the bitrate and capture 8000kbps with no pixcelation.) The bundled software sucks (but since the Canopus doesn't come with software all we're comparing is the hardware) and the capture I can make is lossless in MPEG2 format (smaller file size means more storage space for cataloging/sorting capture from many VHS tapes before burning is necessary...allowing you to collect parts of a series spread over several tapes so you can burn them as a set to one disc.) All we are doing is copying analog VHS ( which is made at 356X240 resolution)...and my "lossless" copies look as good as their "lossless" copies so, I guess the only question is the price. The DVC-150 is $200 and (I'm told) the Canopus is $300. What I want to know now that I've converted my 60 8hr VHS tapes to digital is whether there's a device which will allow you to feed pure digital HDTV into the PC without going through the digital/analog/digital conversions which ultimately reduce your resolution to the analog 356X240...I'd like to make my future TV captures at pure digital 720X480 DVD resolution (or higher). I suppose that can be done with a digital camera...

Comment

• jonh
      • Jul 2003

THanks for the input. You're right, Canopus lists at $299. If it doesn't offer any advantages over the Dazzle 150, I'll go with Dazzle and not expect anything from the software.

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Go to the Dazzle forum and check out the posts in the DVC-150 forums...you'll find a lot of helpful people hanging around. www.dazzle/home >>support>>community forums. As with all video, there are a number of "beginner issues" which need to be overcome and having a great group of users helps (because you aren't going to get any support from "support".) If you don't already have a USB2 port you'll need to invest in a PC card ($20) in order to get the higher bitrates. If you read all the posts you'll find out the software we use, and how to use them. There are several "how to's" posted throughout.

Comment

• jonh
          • Jul 2003

Thanks rsquirell, I'll check it out. I'm planning on buying a new processor and MB, so I'll have usb2. Any thoughts on processor and MB? I cannot run win XP without upgrading my statistical software (SPSS) at a cost of about $2500. So I'm stuck with win 98 se for an OS. THus, I can't use hyperthreading technology but I wanted a P4 with an 800 FSB and 400 DDR ram.
          I also want to keep noise levels down.

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

USB2 doesn't work with 98. You need XP with Service Pack 1 in order for USB2 to work. Why not keep the old machine with the SPSS...and when you upgrade dedicate the new machine to video while keeping the legacy system separate. MS is dropping 98 support in the next few weeks...and all new video software is optimized for XP. If you can't do that...then I'd suggest picking up the DVC-100 (a USB1.1 MPEG2 device that captures at lower bitrates.) In fact...CircuitCity had a 30day return policy...so you can pick up the Canopus and the DVC-100 at the same time and check out which does a better job for you and take the other back.

Comment

• jonh
              • Jul 2003

USB2 doesn't work with win 98???
              I'm back at square 1 again. This is getting frustrating. Sure glad you told me about this. I think you may be right about setting up a dedicated system for video. If I go that route, I think I know what I want (I'm going to build it myself - probably a big mistake), except for a video card. Right now I have a Matrox 400 G - TV. I want to be able to view my editing on a TV and also send video to a vcr. Any suggestions here?
              Thanks alot.
              Jon

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

Go ATI...for Dazzle stay away from Nvidia.

Comment

• kimomakano
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Jun 2002

I use an old ATI (128 Pro) card on a 1.1gz processor and XP. For the first year I used the packaged software and wasn't happy with the results. The captured video was not as clear or crisp as the original tape. I tried a lot of different settings and couldn't get it to come out.

Finally I convinced myself to download another application, VirtualDub (I really am hesitant to add more software unless necessary). I was amazed at the difference in quality of the capture and the finished results.

So as far as I am concerned (with my limited experience, I do this as a hobby) the results have a lot more to do with the software than the hardware, in my case anyway.

Comment

• rsquirell
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Feb 2003

Dazzle used to not work with Nvidia...but 2 months ago they released new drivers and made the claim that Nvidia was now no problem. But with the number of posts I've seen from Nvidia users with problems I'm left with the impression the new drivers may not be cutting it. If you have the option why tempt the fates. This stuff is tough enough as it is.

Comment

Working...